Need help with my snake plant....

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PlantJunkie, Jan 22, 2007.

1. PlantJunkie

PlantJunkie Member

Im not really sure where to post this so I hope this is the right spot.
    I have a snake plant and its doinng great [​IMG]

Though I have another plant I bought that is not... It was sold to me as a snake plant but it dosent look like the other snake plant so Im assuming its a broad leaf variety.
    [​IMG]

I give them Identical care but for some reason Im having a little trouble with it.

Here is the trouble:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leaves are spliting and cracking Im not really sure what thats about or why it just started I really like that plant so any advise is appriciated.
    thanks
    Matt

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

The first plant is your snake plant.
    The second plant is an aloe species.
    Since you did not mention how you are growing them there is not much I can say apart from the fact the aloe likes it drier even though your snake plant can take dryness as well.
    I am growing the aloe species outside here in California. I do not water it all that much. It gets lots of sun but can handle partial shade. Maybe you are watering it too much?? Also the soil should be gritty so it will drain well and rapidly.
    Let us know how you are growing these.
    On the snake plant there are other varieties, one similar in size to yours but without the yellow edge, one much smaller and compact but very much looking like the one without the yellow edge, and one you would not believe, S. cylindrica (my spelling may be off) that has long terete leaves . All can handle shade and dryness-a very robust house plant! Aloes do not make great house plants unless they are grown in a very sunny spot in large containers (at least the ones I have seen).

3. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I believe that the second pplant is Sanseviera trifasciata var. "Moonglow". It should thrive under the same conditions that the other variety--at least the one I have does. Is it possible that there was some physical cause for the damage to the plant? Sans are very forgiving plants. Most problems I've seen are caused by overwatering.

4. PlantJunkie

PlantJunkie Member

I don't believe the second one is a Aloe plant. I have 3 varietys of Aloes which are all thick and succulent.The pic does appear to be a aloe looking down at it though.If I get a chance I'll take better pics and post them. I believe Rockminer may be right its a type of Sanseviera It has the same over all structure of my other snake plant with the exception that it has broad leaves,no pattern and a diffrent color.No there has been no physical cause for the damage the leaves are just splitting apart in certain areas.Could that be caused by overwatering...? W#hat would the recomended care be for one?

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

No the second plant is another form of sansevaria, sansevaria trifasciata. It takes a little bit less water and a lot more sun than the regular sansevaria to keep it its blue green colour, the cracking may be due to keeping the plant too wet or too cold, but it is a sansevaria. hope this helps

6. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Time for new glasses!
    Sure looks like the aloe I have but ???