phoenix canariensis

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i recently grew a few CIDP from seed adn they now have 2 leaves. They are in pots now and still have bags over them. The window they are in faces south and they get almost direct sunlight and seem to be doing well.

how long do i have to wait till it starts to get its adult leaves?

how long should i wait to repot them into big pots?

any general information on growing them indoors would help

thanks
    jesse

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

These palms have large root systems and will outgrow a container in no time flat. No need for "bags over them". Once the roots start to escape the pots, it's time to size up.
    It could be a year or two before you'll see the pinnate leaves. I can't help you too much regarding indoor cultivation. These eventually are emense trees and will outgrow any home environment.
    Here's one I planted this year.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

3. Canadianplant

ncie tree... how tall is it? and how old will it get before growing a trunk?

4. LPN

It's about five and ahalf feet tall. It'll be some time before a real trunk forms. Here, they're a borderline palm and need winter protection 4 out of 5 winters. Hopefully if I give it the leg up it needs, it may look like this one day.
    Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

5. palmera

palmera Active Member

Barrie,

I know the palm needs a dry winter, but does it also like a dry summer? Or does it like lots of water in the summer like so many palms do?

After visiting Palm Springs last year, I am motivated to try to get one growing!

6. LPN

palmera,
    These palms are happy with summer water no doubt, but do fine without any real help. The root system is far reaching and will pick up moisture pretty much anywhere.
    I sold a nice 15 gallon P. canariensis to a guy in Yellow Point and another one to someone in Port Alberni.

Cheers, LPN.

7. guga

guga Member

Hi! My name is Gery and i am from Bulgaria:)
    I have 12 seeds from this wonderfull Palm. I startedbefor 2 or 3 weeks ago and all my seeds germinate /i think so/ But pls tell me how the roots look like becouse all the roots of my seeds are white and they are round of the seed?
    N.B Sorry for bad English :)

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Здрасти!

Yes, the roots are white, 1-2mm diameter.

9. guga

guga Member

Thank you Michael F!:)
    If you are bulgarian pls tipe me personal messege :)

10. palmera

palmera Active Member

Barrie,

Did you give your phoenix c. any winter protection this year? How's it looking so far?

11. LPN

Hi palmera,

I erected a tent-like / small cold frame structure over it. No supplimental heat or assistance during any of the cold snaps we had. Here's a pic I just took. It seems quite happy and looking forward to spring. Aren't we all?

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

Attached Files:

12. palmera

palmera Active Member

Barrie,

Did you just run out in the rain and take that photo? You are dedicated!

Have you given any thought to if you will cover it every winter or not? I know you planted it in your dry bed, perhaps just some crown protection would be all she needs... but it would be a shame to lose such a beauty.

13. LPN

palmera ... it's not raining right now. A small break in the weather and I'm outside.

I think in time, once it gets larger, I may only cover it during forecasted cold spells. Last winter was very mild and temps around here where more inline with zone 10a. The structure is fairly easy to set up so it can be used as needed. Protecting the crown and emerging growth spear is rather difficult and dangerous. Sharp spines at the base of the petioles are very painfull. I've had this one (and others from the same shipment) for about 4 years. No damage or overly special treatment. One guy I sold one to, said his managed -11c (12f) around the Port Alberni area. I have not seen it to varify his claims. I suspect there's more to it than I'm getting.

Cheers, LPN.

14. palmera

palmera Active Member

Barrie,

You're lucky getting a break in the rain today. It hasn't even slowed down here yet at all! What happened to the nice day we had on Sat? I even managed to prune my roses.

In my mind I was reversing the positioning you gave your Pheonix with your Jubea. I remember now that you have your Jub in the front and the Pheonix in the back (under your wife's temp greenhouse)! Did you give the Jub any cover? I plan to plant out a 3 gallon Jubea in a dry bed near the pond this Spring. It's close to 3 feet tall and pushing it's feathers. I admit I am curious how your's faired this winter and if you had to do any pampering. You're my test garden!

15. andypython

andypython Member

not to change the subect too much, but what do you mean by dry bed, at least I can guess what you mean but how does one achieve such a thing or decide you have such a thing, I have many raised beds that even in years past have seemed very dry, but this year with all this rain have had little rivers running through them at times (slight exageration, but you know what I mean!). Any tips would be great as I would love to try some more delicate palms but I am pretty sure that as my yard is now I would be wasting my time!

16. LPN

You're right andypython. This is an area of my garden that dries out first and is the last to take up any water during the autumn rains. It is never truely dry for 12 months even with a rain canopy, as ground water works it's way in anyway. It has superior drainage properties as well.

Cheers, LPN.

17. palmera

palmera Active Member

andypython,

I use the term "dry" somewhat loosely, as Barrie mentioned, here on the wet coast we never truely have it dry all year long. But with these amendments to a bed, it holds the most promise one can give to the desert loving plants that we try to grow:

Choosing the most cold/wet tolerant varieties possible, South facing site, gravely sub soil (where water never seems to pool), replacement of top soil with sandy/grit based soil, gravel mulch, raised bed (the higher the better) or sloped for run off, and overhead protection (either an eave, high branches, or a temp shelter) during the winter rains. I have also known people to surround the base of the plant with tar paper sloped away to expel water from the stem. In addition, because we have now created a "dry" spot, be prepared to supply plenty of supplemental water in the sunny months.

The greatest problem I think we face is the inablility to alter the cold winter humidity. At the end of the day, sometimes we just have to admit that we live North of the 48th parallel. (But I never will as I am a certifiably in Zonal Denial!).

18. neonrider

neonrider Active Member

Columbiaâ„¢, Southâ„¢ Carolinaâ„¢, USAâ„¢
    Phoenix canariensis germination temperatures?

What are the germinating temperatures for Phoenix Canariensis seeds? I bought seeds at JungleSeeds.co.uk and they describe 19-21C temps, but at Rare Exotics website they say the +32C temps are ideal for germinating Phoenix canariensis. I kept the seeds in a hot sun room (in a well prepared soil) for a few weeks and nothing so far.

19. Canadianplant

Mine were in the portch, so im guessing 25-30C during the day, and around 18-20C at night. They are very easy to germinate. The thing is patience. They should sprout in anywhere between 2 weeks to about 4 months.

20. neonrider

neonrider Active Member

Columbiaâ„¢, Southâ„¢ Carolinaâ„¢, USAâ„¢
    Thanks, update: I have 7 out of 20 sprouted (germinated) now after 6 weeks and growing after I brought them into a room with temps around +25-27C. Sunroom (+30C-45C was probably too hot for them). Now I placed the germinated ones back into the sun room, supposedly they should love the heat in there.

21. Lyubo

Lyubo Member

Hi Gery,

I am also from Bulgaria and recently bought seeds of Canarry Date Palm tree. Do you have success with your palms? What i need to do to grow the palm from the seeds?
    Best Regards,
    Lyubo