Handling pear trellis rust

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Hasmukh, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Hasmukh

Hasmukh Member

Re: Pear tree disease

Hello

I am in Toronto and have 2 trees of pear. Pears are very sweet. Honey bees suck the juice. All the leaves of the trees are having red bubble under the leaves with small points. It may be "Pear Trellis Rust". Please advise what type of chemical is to be used step by step.

Thanking you

hlm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Pear Trellis Rust can be controlled. You should treat the Pear tree spring and fall with copper, but most importantly during the winter you must treat all the Cedar and Juniper anywhere near the Pear tree with copper as well. Being that it hosts on the Cedar and Juniper in the winter and on the Pear during the summer. It takes a few years but if you can get good coverage and a bit of luck it can go away....until you stop spraying, and thats the year it comes right back. But leave it untreated, and it will continue to increase every year until you are ready to get the chainsaw out!

3. shelleylondonhauka

shelleylondonhauka Member

So,I am not alone out there with this same ugliness on my pear tree! Our tree is very close to the neighbour's cedar wall fence, which had been allowed to grow and grow, reaching the pear tree, and over time, pushed its limbs all over in one direction. I whacked back the cedar on our side, some branches 10ft long, hoping the pear tree would now have light, good air circulation, and start to grow well. I have done some pruning these last 2 years, but the tree looks worse, and produces less; what it does produce is tiny, and falls prematurely. I would like to try this copper treatment, if someone experienced out there can explain it well to me; is it worth the time, energy, and cost, with the cedar wall so close? And new neighbours have also just planted small junipers out their front yard, under a huge cedar tree. I love having fruit trees in the back yard! Please advise this 'newy'. Thanks.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Copper spray can be purhased at most garden centers as a wettable powder. Using the labels you should get the timing and mixture you need for applying. Fall is when I find copper seems to make the best difference. Lime Sulphur is most commonly recommended for a spring spray, just before it flowers. This is an aid for stopping scab on your fruit. But to try to fully control scab you need to protect the fruit with other types of fungicides during the growing season.

If your set on spraying your Pear tree, you will probably find these two treatments will make some improvement, and there relatively cheap to buy. Jim.

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Is the Pear Trellis rust not airborne as well...so that spores from distant, infected junipers can be causing the disease?

6. oldflyboy

oldflyboy Member

It seems that Pear Trellis Rust has jumped over to us in Northumberland, UK.
    It has just appeared on our Conference Pear tree.
    Has there been any new treatment for this disease?

7. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

In spite of being covered last year, my pears are much better this year...no obvious spots and growing well and lustily. We had a very hot, dry summer...that may have helped? Also I believe the trees are stronger now that they are in their third year and not suffering small tree transplant shock.