Identification: Is this plant a type o begonia?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Tanji, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Tanji

Tanji Member

I am thinking this plant is a type of begonia, and I have tryed to start new plants from the thick rhizomes to no avael, any and all info wanted thanxs

Attached Files:

2. kome

kome Active Member

looks like wax begonia, indoor plant in B.C. indirect sun. take cuttings from the stems with root start.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

it is a begonia x eranthrophylla , or commonly known as the beefsteak begonia. it likes bright indirect sunlight and some water. you can take cutting of the stems, place them in vermiculite, with rooting hormone, and place in a pot and cover with a plastic bag. or you can just take cutting and place them in water, or take single leaves, take of most of the stem and place it in a pot of vermiculite with root hormone and place a plastic bag over it, wait a few weeks and you should have a new plant.

4. Tanji

Tanji Member

thank you so much, that is by far the best enfo ive goten yet and i looked it up still could'nt find it but i ended up finally finding it on line wow ive benn lookin for a long time i found it under (x erythrophylla) again thank you!

Tanji

5. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

If you don't like that stem (rhizome) hanging over the edge of the pot, you can cut it off inside the rim of the pot, and that will encourage the begonia to branch out at that spot. You could use the cut off piece to start the new plant(s).

6. Tanji

Tanji Member

thats just it I'm not sure where to cutt it! and I dont want to make a mistake and i have cut off small bits befor but they never seem to take. i also scooped out a small plant that started in the pot along with the roots i put it in a smaller pot but it dyed.

7. kome

kome Active Member

check your picture#1, you can cut all stem to the point where it touch the edge of the pot, and you can make 3-4 new plants. don't water too much!

8. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Just cut the long brown thingie (rhizome) right back to inside the rim of the pot by say an inch or so. It will sent out new leaves at that point, and possibly branch. I often cut mine several inches inside the edge of the pot so that the branches have room to grow before they head over the side of the pot. You may like that branched look over the side of the pot, but a lot of people want their begonias to be bushy within the confines of the pot.

9. Tanji

Tanji Member

thanxs chester and you'r right i do like the look of it a natural !! but i have wanted to start small plants from it and i guess thats the only way to do it is by cutting it (lol) thanxs again.

Tanji