Identification: Need plant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Howard Goldstein, Sep 17, 2005.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Re: Need plant ID, begin a forum on Nepenthes

I'd suggest you begin a new thread in an attempt to begin a discussion forum. As a result of my website I receive requests for information frequently so I know there are a lot of folks out there with an obsession for this group of plants. I do know a collector in Hawaii who has an extensive collection along with extensive knowledge. Begin a new thread and see what type of participation you receive. I'd be willing to bet it will be extensive. I'll certainly be watching in hopes I can learn something new.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Active Member

I only stop in here from time to time looking to see if anyone is out there who shares my interests in conservation of endangered or threatened species indigenous to NA as well as to learn from others who grow plants with which I have little or no experience. I've learned a lot lurking here. Not too many people who share my interests in temperate NA carnivorous plants. I go to the ListServe to find all the carnies (obsessive people who have extensive collections) who won't post in an online forum for one reason or another. We might get interest here from newbies and commercial growers but I don't think we'd be able to get the vast majority of private growers with the decades of personal experiences as well as all the goodies who are interested in these species to come out of the woodwork for an online community. Many don't even have computers and barring that, they seem to stick to themselves or to two mainstream CP forums which is a shame.

3. photopro

It is no different with other specialized interests. I specialize in rare anthuriums and philodendrons including some that are endangered. I often post requests for input on a number of boards. Even the aroid boards rarely get a lot of responses with the exception of Amorphophallus species (voodoo lilies). The people who know those plants are very willing to share what they have observed. I'm not sure if people just won't reveal their "secrets" or just don't know enough about the plants to explain what they have observed. It truly is too bad. So little is known, even by the top botanists. We could all help each other learn. Dr. Tom Croat and Dr. Eduardo Gonçalves are the major exceptions to that "rule". They both freely pass along their years of experience. I am currently doing a photographic study on the growth of an Anthurium regale spathe and spadix. The plant entered female anthesis just a few days ago and appears to now be entering male anthesis. I've been fortunate enough to get descent photos at magnifcations of up to 10X. That plant is considered rare and Dr. Croat just told me no complete photo study has ever been done on anthuriums. Dr. Croat passes along observations and comments almost daily. In my case, I've posted the daily photos on my website in hopes others who know more about these plants will respond. So far, few have offered input. But still, it might be a good thing if you started a thread and shared what you know about carnivorous species! I for one would be glad to learn.

Steve Lucas
    www.ExoticRainforest.com

4. Equilibrium

I don't have time for a number of boards. I wish I did but I don't.

I don't know that it is so much that they don't want to reveal their secrets so much as it is that they don't want to reveal the species of plants they grow in their collections and then there are the collectors who literally don't have computers- go figure. I long ago stopped posting a grow list anywhere because of people begging for divisions or cuttings from my parent plants. I don't even have a substantial collection when compared to the likes of Phil Faulisi or Mike King but evidently I was more approachable than them and approached I was. I am not alone in having been approached. Repeatedly. Sad reality is that I, like so many others, share well whenever I have extras from propagation. Now I just sneak around like Bob Ziemer and offer plants to newbies when I can. I dolled out about 100 last year but mostly to academic settings. I love helping people who work with children.

Oh dear, I love reading so I think I'll go check out your website.

5. Equilibrium

Very nice. I think the wicking of water by using the sphagnum combined with substantially increasing the relative humidity around the Aroids is working wonderfully for you. Unconventional growing method, perhaps but I do the same thing with Pinguicula and I've got a few gigantea that are the size of dinner plates. I do believe air temps to be capable of significantly affecting plant growth and I actually have some of my pings in areas where there are wild temperature fluctuations between night and day. I'm no scientist but growing some of my plants "wet" is working for me too.

Forgive me but I'm not laughing at you for this one but with you- "My wife didn't like the idea of my using the entire backyard when I indicated I wanted to build a rainforest atrium 36' by 36'. After a lot of "discussion" I scaled the size down to 24' by 24'. Guess what? That is now much too small! I've got lots more plants (and more I want) than I now have room. I should have built it 36' x 36' in the beginning! And likely will build one that size if we ever decide to move! Plan ahead. You'll hate yourself if you let your love of plants outgrow what you build!"

I love your site. Maybe it's my computer doubling up text but on your home page, look to the area where you wrote this, "So just before 2000 when my wife, Janice, began to want to move closer to our grown children, grand children and her parents after 25 years in Florida, I was" because there is other text over the top of that text.

6. photopro

Glad you enjoyed the site. I'd bet you have Firefox. We have no idea why but Firefox seems to double up text. We've (my webmaster and I) talked with them and they have no explanation either. If we fix the "problem" for those who have Firefox it screws up the page for people with any other type of browser. And don't think you're laughing at my quote. I've regretted not building the "rainforest" bigger ever since the plants began to grow in. It used to look big but now is much too small for my liking. That extra 12 feet each way would have doubled my total growing space. And by the way, since some on this board are probably getting tired of our "emails" just send me a note at the address found near the bottom of my homepage. I'd enjoy exchanging info with you.

Steve Lucas

7. Equilibrium

Yes, I have Firefox. Do plant threads that stray from one plant topic to another offend members?

8. photopro

I got a private email once asking me to stay on subject. So I guess some don't appreciate the off subject conversation. And as I recall, one of my posts got moved to another forum once when I started on this site. Since Daniel is probably reading this perhaps he will comment.

Steve Lucas

9. Equilibrium

Sounds as if that may have been an isolated incident. Perhaps one member commented therefore a gentle reminder had to be sent. I presume it happens. I enjoy it when one plant topic leads to another plant topic. I actually follow the links and read them when I have time. The www is a big place and I love it when people send me shooting off in different directions for plant fixes.

10. photopro

I do the same which is how I found this thread.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

12. Equilibrium

Thank you for posting the link to why a new thread is preferred.

Backing up a bit, the original poster's plant is not a Nepenthes but a comment was made regarding Nepenthes khasiana being an endangered species. I believe it is.
    To the best of my knowledge, all Nepenthes will be CITES II other than a few species when wild collected and I believe wild collected N. khasiana to be one of the few that is CITES I. I believe when not wild collected, as in propagated for international trade, N. khasiana is reduced to CITES II. I've imported Nepenthes before. Best to have all one's ducks in a row and be dealing with a reputable dealer if one is going for any CITES plants. Truly best to purchase them from a nursery in your own country even if one has to wait a few years. N. khasiana has been in cultivation for a while. It's out there.

13. 4moreaction

4moreaction Member

[it is for certain a croton... i had one myself.... and it grows as a bush.... just a bit different kind of leaves!!!