Expections in relation to plants

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by jamkh, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Message withdrawn.
    Reason: The contents would be inappropriate for a forum meant for the academically minded and where the formal scientific principles and disciplines are the norms. I apologize for this indiscretion.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No.

As I've previously stated, this subject is addressed in The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions and Dangerous Delusions by Robert Todd Carroll:

plant perception (aka The Backster Effect)

I think it might be time for you to start looking for other forums.

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Pretty soon you'll be telling us that the Green Man doesn't exist!

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wow, Daniel, that's harsh. I didn't read the original post, can only speculate as to its content, but if it's not malicious...

5. Gordo

Although I agree with Daniel's assessment regarding the request for this particular new forum, I thought the post was interesting. Also, I think that it is important that we realize that the relationship between humans and plants goes beyond purely scientific considerations - otherwise few of us would be posting anything here. I must admit, as well, that I was surprised by the suggestion to search for new forums on which to post, if this was suggesting that the poster was not welcome on the UBC forums.

Gordo.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've taken into consideration what both of you have written, and questioned whether I should have written what I did. Unwaveringly, I keep coming to the same conclusion. I meant what I said, and I stand by it. It was not only because of the request that I made the statement.

There was no maliciousness in the original request.

7. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Karina and Gordo,
    Though I somewhat appreciate the support you have shown, I have to accept Daniel's point of view. I was momentarily caught unaware that this is an academic forum based on the strict principles of scientific research and moreover parapsychology is a controversial topic. While it is true that the majority of us are purely involved in gardening, this forum has to preserve its integrity otherwise it will steamrole into hostile and and fractious territory. I hope this issue is considered closed after reading my reflections.
    I am also carrying out due diligence on Daniel's suggestion to quit this forum as my inquiring mind will often meet with strong responses from many quarters in other forums as well.
    Perhaps it's best I keep my rebellous nature imprisoned in my own domain.

8. Gordo

jamkh,

I would just like to express my opinion that an inquiring mind and a rebellious nature should be no source of shame. I hope you continue to post your thoughts on other forums (gardenweb is a good one) where they may receive a more receptive and less restrictive audience.
    Best of luck,

Gordo.

9. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Gordo
    I would agree that the GardenWeb Forum is more tolerant to diverse views and theoretical discussions. It is more attuned to plant growers' experiences. However sometimes liberalism can backfire; I find that proper decorum is sometime not strictly maintained (this is my personal opinion).
    Besides Photopro's invitation to post my enquiry in the forum named Aroid L, I had also received two other invitations by private mail to come and join them. So I never worry as it is a wide, wide world.

10. Daniel Mosquin

11. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Hi Daniel.
    I see that you are well informed. Though it is claimed that I take opposing views as personal, I believe I always welcome different views no matter how opposed they are. But differences must be discussed in a gentlemanly way without resort to personal attacks and without insinuating insults like calling your post 'total crap' or 'nonsense' as had been used in this case. I believe there is no better way to learn than to be involved in a debate but decorum must be observed; also there is no better way to sharpen your wit and your presentation.
    Well we come from all sorts of cultures and educational backgrounds and the world exhibit billions of opinions; thus we need to be very broad-minded in order to get along well. I know I have my limitations and faults (wonder if anyone is perfect) and would never claim I am right in all instances.

12. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

If the relationship between humans and animals in terms of communication is used as an indication of progress made, then I am confident that the day will come when Science discovers that plants have perceptions we haven't as yet recognise. Would not our grandfathers be tickled pink had we told them that animals are capable of intelligent communication?
    Newton's law of motion stood absolute until Einstein propounded his theory of relativity. We believe humans are the only intelligence until we discover a world of different dimensions (possible in the future??). Man's knowledge has been boosted by IT but Einstein compared his knowledge as a drop in the ocean.

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plants don't have a nervous system.

14. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

OMG is this thread still going on?

Hear, hear! That was Daniels first point right from the beginning.

Thou I doubt he needs it, I write this in defense of Daniel who has, in my opinion, functioned as a fair and diligent moderator since the first day I arrived.

Sure, Jamkh, you are free to think and speak as you see fit. There is no problem there. However, despite what you seem to be espousing, not all issues have a multitude of equally valid perspective that all warrant discussion.

Please bear with me...

For example: Science has proven that washing ones hands before performing surgery dramatically reduces the likelihood of infection. Period. Anyone is totally free to disagree with this; however, people who disagree with such sound science won’t, and dare I say shouldn’t, get a warm welcome from a bunch of people who come together to discuss the matters scientifically.

An opinion is not valid simply because a person holds it. This Forum is filled with people who share their knowledge, understanding, and passion for plants. They do so primarily in the language of science (whether they know it or not). If they wanted to talk plants from a spiritualists, or astrologers, or plant psychics perspective then here is not the place to do it. THIS would be, THIS would be and THIS would be. But to talk of psychic powers here is no less out of place than using the UBC BG forum to discuss UFO conspiracies. They may be valid. They may have many believers. But they have nothing to do with why this forum exists and why most people come here.

I enjoy horticulture as a hobby. Many here, in one form or another, make it there lives. I for one would strongly consider it an affront to MY person if ideas of psychic connections to plants, belief in the absence reproducible results, or the notion that all ideas are inherently and equally valid are put on the same plain as research, logic and the scientific method. At a Scientific forum no less.

If people want to talk from an all-points-valid hyper-relativist perspective then a science based forum at a university is not the place for it. It’s not Daniel’s fault that jamkh, after being run off for who knows how many other forums, decided to make this his next stop.

in•ter•lop•er
    n.
    1. One that interferes with the affairs of others, often for selfish reasons; a meddler.
    2. One that intrudes in a place, situation, or activity

Thank you,
    Michael

15. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Quote: It’s not Daniel’s fault that jamkh, after being run off for who knows how many other forums, decided to make this his next stop./Unquote

Thank you for the attack. Now for your information I have not been run off from any single forum. Period. On a point of interest, GardenWeb is the first forum I had participated in and if you care to read my posts with some degree of accuracy, you would know I have not been run off. Kindly quote me another forum where I had entered even one single post.

Quote:But to talk of psychic powers here is no less out of place than using the UBC BG forum to discuss UFO conspiracies. They may be valid. They may have many believers. But they have nothing to do with why this forum exists and why most people come here./Unquote

Haven't I expressed this notion when I deleted this post. Isn't my apology enough? So please suggest what sort of remedy you would want to extract out of this in order to get your full satisfaction. I know for certain that a run off from this forum would satisfy you immensely.

Quote:Thou I doubt he needs it, I write this in defense of Daniel who has, in my opinion, functioned as a fair and diligent moderator since the first day I arrived. /Unquote
    Have I at any time stated that Daniel has been unfair in any decision he had made thus far that you should see it fit to run to defend his decision??? Even if he should decide to run me off, still you won't find me ever expressing that his action is unfair. It is his preorgative and I shall abide by it. Period

Finally the most comical aspect is this.
    Quote:in•ter•lop•er
    n.
    1. One that interferes with the affairs of others, often for selfish reasons; a meddler.
    2. One that intrudes in a place, situation, or activity/unquote

I wonder what dictionary you refer to. No doubt you are inferring that I am nothing but an interloper. But have you realized that many readers may think that this description points to you even more????

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.