Brown cocoons and other pests?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MikeOrganic, Jun 3, 2004.

1. MikeOrganic

MikeOrganic Member

Hello, I am trying to identify several possible pests in my Native NW garden in Vancouver.

1. Multiple brown sticklike cocoons? all over the patio walls, pots and leaves. I haven't seen what comes out of these things or what goes into them in the first place. They may not even be cocoons. When you pluck one off it is attached firmly and then when you squeeze it, it "pops" and out comes a bit of juicy yellow stuff.

2. Every year about this time I find a white foam on several plants in several locations. It tends to curl the leaves a bit and if you scoop it up and sort through it you find a small green larval creature that as it gets older and bigger begins to crawl around. Don't know what it is. Suggestions? Friend or Foe?

3. Found a few black and orange beetle like things today and wondered if they were ladybird larvae. ?

See photos of above

Attached Files:

2. Other Pests

Recently I have removed one like your #2 from my Alberta Dwarf Spruce. It was moving and producing lots of foam. I would very much like to know what it was.

Alexandra

3. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Number 2 is probably a Spittle bug.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    #3 is indeed a lady bird ( ladybug) set her free and she
    (he) will take care of rest. They are as good as if not better that humming birds.

Regards Doug

5. MikeOrganic

MikeOrganic Member

Thank you folks! Number 2 is indeed a spittle bug as I found some great info on it after Googleing "spittle bug". I am still very curious about what is inside all these brown stick like pupa everywhere. I'll keep looking.

Cheers, mike