I have upload my blooming orchind

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ycwee, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ycwee

ycwee Member

2. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

They are Lovely!! You are lucky to have scented ones too!

3. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Hello ycwee
    Your plants are very interesting and for the most part new to me.
    One question>How are you growing the Dossinia?
    I have the Dossinia but it has not flowered yet and I think I may not be growing it right. Any advice is appreciated.

4. ycwee

ycwee Member

Hi Terrestrial Man,
    I planted my Dossinia with crushed charcoal, compost and mosses. I put put the pot under a guava tree just below my Phal. Pantherina. the plants get around 20 - 30% sun light. When I am free, I take it out to full sun in the morning from 6 am to 9 am (kinda like sun bath it). I fertilize it with compost sheep manure tea + a little bit commercial orchid blooming fertilizer (weak solution) twice a month. I am just wondering if yours is Dossinia or Macodes because they looks alike. the only difference is that Dossinia has darker and smaller leaves, around 2 inches long. Marcodes leaves are 3 to 4 inches long and not so dark. But mine looks like both, could it be natural hybrid?

5. ycwee

ycwee Member

6. ycwee

ycwee Member

Terrestrial man,
    You are the writer of the Jewel orchid journel, right? I have seen your Ludisia and goodyera flowered. Your Dossinia suppose to flower at the same condition. Have you tried misting and cooler temperature (18 degree celsious) and bright light? Dossinia grows toghether with Paph. Stonei, So, I suppose they share the same growing condition

7. terrestrial_man

Hi ycwee,
    Thanks for the feedback and on how you are growing Dossinia.
    What are your temperatures like? How cold do you get at
    night and how hot in the day during your hot season and during your cooler season.
    Your plant is definitely Dossinia. A hybrid would probably have
    a difference in the intensity of the color of the leaves as well as a difference in the patterning of the venation. and probably a difference in the size and shape of the leaf.

Yes, I wrote the Jewel Orchid web journal! Thanks for visiting. Hope you found it interesting!

Attached Files:

8. terrestrial_man

On Dossinia,
    Because Dossinia is unispecific, that means there is only one species in this genera (from what I have been able to find so far) and because there is alot of lack of knowledge of the Jewel Orchids, the different Jewel orchids are often confused with each other.
    If you have Dossinia growing in your area you might want to take a camera and take good images of the growing plants, the area they are in and close ups of the plants, leaves, and flowers.
    See what you can find as far as variation is concerned. It would be interesting to read about.

9. ycwee

ycwee Member

Terrestrial man,
    The Temperature here in Kuching normally 23°C at night to 35°C in the afternoon. However, now it is monsoon season in kuching and the temperature dropped to 18°C at night and 30°C in the afternoon, and raining almost everyday. Most Dossinia bloom in this time of the year.
    They are found at the lime stone hills and grows together with paph.
    So far, I have only found 3 verieties with different pattern and color of the leaves. Maybe, I will borrow my friend's camera to take the picture by next week. My camera is not working well.

10. terrestrial_man

THANK YOU YCWEE!

Will be looking forward to seeing the images!
    Here is a link for you about growing small species orchids in a container inside the home. It is very interesting.
    http://jsionline.freeservers.com/NanoB.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  11. ycwee

ycwee Member

Tha's a great idea. Thanks Terrestrial man

12. ycwee

ycwee Member

I have upload my orchid picture especially my Dossinia Marmorata's variety

Attached Files:

13. ycwee

ycwee Member

14. terrestrial_man

Hello YCWEE!
    Great pictures there. Appreciate the sharing. One question:
    Have you flowered or seen flowers of each of these and do you have images?
    Reason I ask is that I wonder if they are all Dossinia?
    I am only GUESSING! but I believe that you have at least 2 different genera and possibly 3?
    Here are my thoughts:
    1. The round leaf one may be a Macodes
    2. The top center one is definitely Dossinia, and probably the one below it. Reason look at how the leaf shape slowly curves to an almost blunt pointed tip.
    3. The upper right may be Dossinia-cannot tell about the leaf shape from the angle of the picture.
    4. The lower left may be another genus, possibly Macodes as well. Reason is the leaf shape differs. It curves sharply into a point-this is called an acute tip or an acute shape to the leaf.

I would be interested in knowing what the color of the leaf is on the bottom side of the leaf: reddish brown? whitish? greenish?

Are these newly acquired plants? Please keep a log on their growth and how you cultivate them including images. You have seen my web journal on the Jewel Orchids. You can make a journal just like that with yours using your photo imaging program that came with your digital camera. You begin with a blank page on which you put your images and text. If you need advice on this and want to do something for yourself (and even for publication) I will be glad to advise. I strongly advise you to do this especially since you are breaking ground in this area of these kinds of orchids that are relatively unknown to us in the States.

15. ycwee

ycwee Member

Not all of them have flowered. Some have flowered few months back and some of them, I just got it. I borrowed the camera from my cousin yesterday and I had to returned today because my camera is not working. Don't worry, I will take the picture of the flower of each of the plant. Tomorrow I will tell you the colour of the leaf behind.