Staghorn mounting

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Rima, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, hope someone can help here. I just bought a small staghorn fern and it came planted in what looks like 100% peat (dry). It's impossible to even break it up with a fingernail as I'm sure the roots are completely involved (though are not obvious anywhere on the outside except as tiny threads). I have a great chunk of wood I want to attach it too, and lots of good sphagnum, but what do I do about the pot-shaped peat 'ball'? I don't want to soak it as I'm afraid of what that might do (this one's definitely indoors!) but if you know for sure that would help, let me know. Thanks!

2. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

Hi! I have 2 staghorns for 4 years now- one in the custom cut ceramic pot which I water from the bottom until it all wet and another in the wire basket, this one get water by soaking (and, of course free draining after). So far no harm done. I'd soak this "pot-shaped peat 'ball' " and wash away all peat that I don't like.
    Just my 2 cents.