Identification: Philodendron ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jordanak, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jordanak

jordanak Member

I have some type of philodendron and though i've researched i can't figure out exactly what type it is...its growing wonderfully like a weed, i was just curious. this isnt my plant in the picture but the leaves and stalks are a dead ringer. mine is on top of the fridge and hung down 3 feet and has many new shoots, i have the end loosely tied to the wall and it is growing upward. there is about 2 feet worth of vine (no leaves, i almost thought the plant was dead for a while because all the leaves fell off here a while back) between the root base and the healthy end shoots. will new leaves appear on the vine at all? is there any way to create more shoots from the root base to make it more full/ attractive? thank you for bearing with my rambling

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that is actually not a philly .. it is a Arrowhead plant .. they grow really fast and are cool plants .. they really like the morning sun .. as do almost all plants..

Marn

3. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

It is a Syngonium

4. Marn

arrowhead... Syngonium are the same things.. i just call plants by there common names..

Marn

5. jordanak

jordanak Member

thank you, i love this site. how would i propagate new plants from my existing one to grow in the same pot? i'd love it to look a little less viny, more bushy. :)

6. Marn

it should bush out on its own .. the vines will grow as well as new shoots will form from the base ... but you can take some cuttings from below the nodes .. if you look for lil bumps along the stems you can cut there leaveing some of the bumps wich will be roots once in water .. i would wait till spring as it will start to grow more once there is better sun ..
    it will also grow beter once in dirt...

Marn

7. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i have mine facing morning light and its big .. the biggest vine it has ws like 12 feet long. its around 20 or more years old. IF you give the vines something to climb on like a long made of peat moss.. the root nodes on the vines dig in and the leaves will grow really large.

8. jordanak

jordanak Member

thank you! this plant is getting me thru the winter, makes me feel like i have a green thumb. i propped up the smaller vine, making shoots horizontal, and within 2 days those shoots have gone nearly vertical. maybe its the miracle gro and the heat from being on the fridge. and the viny part has sprouted a cute little shoot 2 inches from the roots. the peat moss and node cuttings are good ideas.