Most effective tree form for a berm?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by edgeworth, Jan 8, 2007.

1. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

Hello,

I am planning the tree and shrub layer for a large garden bed (approximately 1700square feet) with a substantial berm on one side.

I have often wondered what silhouettes compliment raised areas best. You know the way weeping trees looks so georgeous next to flat, expansive ponds. What looks good planted on a hill.... or down the slope of a hill... or at the bottom of the hill?

My first inclination is to try something vase shaped on top of the berm.

Any comments, any advice?

Happy New Year!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The reverse. Elevated positions best for short or drooping plants. Low spots good for tall or erect plants. Likewise, short or hanging plants go well in tall pots (or hanging baskets) and tall or upright plants are better for short pots.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello, I was was pondering just what would look interesting for a silhouette...

how about drought resistant grasses and shrubs? Creating a mediterranean

gardenscape?

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

However berms (in garden sized landscaping) tend to be at the back of the field of vision, so taller plants in front could hide lower plants, even raised on a berm. We used cedars (pyramidalis I think, but it was a long time ago) in a grove (not a hedgy row) on top and blocking the less than inspiring neighbor's Vancouver Special with a mix of evergreen and otherwise shrubs still on the berm, and annuals, bulbs and low perennials in front. The total width of berm and bed varied from about 15 to 30 feet. There was also a cedar fence behind all that which was visible in a few places thru the plantings. The maximum height of the berm (from building excavation, capped with the previously removed topsoil) was no more than 5 feet.

Ralph

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>taller plants in front could hide lower plants<

Don't plant them all the way across.

6. edgeworth

edgeworth Active Member

Thank you for your comments.

I can invision mounding and arching shrubs/small trees on top of the berm.

Some I have researched are (not together of couse!):

Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula'

Arbutus unedo 'Compacta'

Rosa Glauca

Cornus alba 'Elegantissima'

Abelia 'Edward Goucher'

Fothergilla 'Mount Airy'

The criteria are spring and fall interest. I believe it is also worth mentioning that this berm is under a neighboring canopy of old acers.

Thanks again for any suggestions.