My palm tree is doing really miserably!!! How can I save it or is it too late?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by parachuter2b, Jan 3, 2007.

1. parachuter2b

parachuter2b Member

Hi,

I bought this plant a few months back from Ikea. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to replanting it as soon as I should have, so it started decaying from there. However, after replanting it and adding enough soil, I thought it would start getting better, but it didn't.
    Now it's getting worse everyday. The pictures below would say it all.

Is it already too late or can I still do something for her?

btw. how often should I water it? Do they need a lot of water? (I've been watering it whenever the soil feels dry...on average that makes once a week or thrice / two weeks).
    It is located in the corner of the dining room (as you can see in the pictures) and it enjoys the evening light as my window's facing west.

Thanks,

parachuter2b

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

A classic case of indoor-itis. They are grown by the thousands down south in ideal conditions, shipped north and into peoples livingrooms. Shock from much lower light levels, humidity, air circulation etc all contribute to it's decline. The only indoor ones I've seen that are doing well are in large well lit areas of hotels, atriums other fairly open designed buildings. Mites are also a problem indoors.

Cheers, LPN.

3. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

The browning of the foliage may indicate a draining problem. In your case it is more likely underwatering as the humidity indoor is usually on the low side. Low lighting intensity indoor is always a culprit usually giving rise to leaves yellowing gradually. Most tropical do well in warm, humid ( 80 to 90% humidity level) conditions and love strong lights. Watch out also for any draught caused by air heating vents.
    You need to remove all the brown parts completely to deter the idea it is dying ( a form of para-psychology)

4. parachuter2b

parachuter2b Member

so it doesn't look like I can do anything to help it survive!

How often should I water it by the way (just to postpone its death!)

parachuter2b

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well it may not die but look sickly for quite sometime. Once spring arrives things may level off and perhaps a resurgence of growth through summer.
    Keep watering to a moderate level. No soggy soil and no dry soil either. Try to provide as much light as possible and (I know it sounds silly) a shower instead of watering.

Cheers, LPN.

6. jesse

jesse Member

you should also check for spider mites, they will cause leaf damage like that. Spray both sides of the leaves, since they are mostly on the under side.

7. parachuter2b

parachuter2b Member

thanks for your tips, but no matter what I did I couldn't save the poor thing...I'm thinking of passing it to my buddy who has more light in his apartment. maybe that way she'll at least suffer less or perhaps even revive !
    I'm thinknig of puting a plant in that corner that is not very high maintenance (at least on light)...what would you recommend?

parachuter2b

8. mrs tog

mrs tog Member

Could you not put it outside. I have one which was house plant and it's now been outside for 3 years and its does very well. Thats in Scotland, its in partial shade for most of the day. You would need to re-pot it of course.

9. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of palm you have, but it looks like it's getting direct sun and burning the fronds. I have a huge palm in my living room that gets very bright light and dapple sun
    If you decide to keep the palm, or give it away, move it to where it's in bright indirect light and no direct sun. Cut off all the really damaged leaves'fronds & all of the stem, leave everything else that's green, even green fronds with some browning tips, leave those.
    Just don't cut into the crown (where fronds come out from)
    Water when the top inch or so starts to feel close to dry then empty the saucer after a few minutes. Don't fertilize at all when plants are in bad shape, it won't help.
    If all goes well, you should see some new growth.
    It wouldn't hurt to ck for spidermites. Look for very fine webbing around the fronds.

10. kv466

kv466 Member

sorry to hear about your poor little palm...i'm not sure how it might be doing now but if it still has any green you could be okay, you never know until it completely dies but it's worth giving it a try...of course, prune off the totally dead fronds...and what i've done to kinda stop or slow the spreading of the brown is to razor blade the brown right where it meets the green and i have had a couple that have stayed green right there and the new 'frond stick' has remained green and the palm grew true from then on...it's always hit or miss with these babies...if not, it looks like a little majesty or sth you can get at the home depot for like $13 anyway...also, about another nice indoor plant...i love my sago palm...it's not really a palm but that's what it's called and they're really neat...i've got the mini bonsai one and it is very healthy and almost care free. g' luck