Identification: ?? and Pedilanthus tithymaloides 'Variegatus'

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MJoseph, Nov 5, 2003.

1. MJoseph

MJoseph Member

Zig-Zag stemmed Green houseplant??

Please help me identify two wonderful green houseplants that I got from a Mother's Day plant sale at my kids school about 5 years ago. They were wonderfully easy to raise and thrived under my off-again -on again brand of gardening. I was unable to put them out most of this summer because of some work we were doing in the back; Finally I put them out at the tail end/early September only to have given them a winter shock; the leaves got kind of frostbitten, and pretty much fell off; one of them is barely making it through, it has exactly 1 leaf on each of 2 stems (down from a bushy 25 stemmed plant!); the other is dead - it has like 1 green stem left, but I know its dead. I'd like to replace both, but dont have a clue as to what they are. here's a description:
    i) Fleshy round button like leaves growing from tubular stems (I think this one might make it through)
    ii) Zig-zagged stems, with light green variegated leaves, smallish, almond shaped
    I know this is too little information to go by. We are planning on getting a digital camera. If they're still around by then I can send pictures of the surviving leaf and stem - but it may be too late...

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Plant #2 sounds like Pedilanthus tithymaloides 'Variegatus' (see this link to Texas A & M Horticulture. If this is correct, it is commonly known as devil's backbone.

Plant #1 is drawing a blank. What do you mean "button-like leaves?" Tubular stems suggests succulent tissue -- is this plant a succulent? Does it have clear or milky sap? Does it branch?

I'm keen to figure it out.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  3. MJoseph

MJoseph Member

Peperomia_obtusifolia2.jpg

Plant #1 is Peperomia_obtusifolia2.jpg (image attached). I figured that out when searching for a better image of Pedilanthus tithymaloides 'Variegatus' that you identifed for me.
    Thank you!

4. MJoseph

MJoseph Member

Additionally, to catch up on the story of Plant #1, it has turned the bedn - even though sitting indoors. I found a good south facing window, water it at least fortnightly, if not more often, and from the withered single-leaf plant it had become, it now sports at leat 6 leaves!!!

5. bcr8tiv

bcr8tiv Member

If your plant is a devil's backbone have you found any places where you can order this plant. i too, unfortuately killed mine and I am having a hard time finding a place to order this plant. My local green houses don't carry them. I attached a picture of what my plant looked like.

Attached Files:

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years