Rhododendrons: cold hardy rhodies?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by flywaysuzy, May 9, 2006.

1. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Hello,

Does anyone have some suggestions on cold hardy species rhodies that might survive up around Likely? It is under the dappled cedar canopy (very mossy and protected), that I'd like to plant one or two plants to start with. If they survive, I'll plant some more.

Any ideas on the first ones to try? Where would I find/order some that would have a fighting chance out there? (some areas are sunnier, but I thought I'd see if there were any shade tolerent species first)

Thanks, Suzy

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Minimum temperature?

3. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

4. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

The temperature might get down around -25 or lower, but the lake in front remains unfrozen, so it is tempered a bit by the lake-being under the trees shelters even more, I would guess. It is much different than here, (windswept prairie-like field with acute dryness, on top of clay soil. I wouldn't expect rhodies to do anything but suffer a quick death here at home)

I checked out the website mentioned above and it seemed to be mostly hybrids.
    Where I want to plant is pretty much wilderness, so would like to avoid showy hybrids and stick to some natural looking plants if possible. All there are available at local nurseries are hybrids. (zone 4).

Moisturewise, I have two pin-hole leaks in our waterline-which I think would make excellent sites for planting any species which require constant moisture. Dryer sites are also available...

Suzy

5. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Just got a rhododendron book I'd ordered. Way too many rhodies!! It will be quite a job to find the cold hardy ones I like in there- I guess I can use it to visualize the descriptions in the online catalogues. Are there any canadian sources for them?

Anyone know if any are inedible to deer? Hairy or unhairy, does it make a difference to them?

Thanks, Suzy

6. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hi Suzy,

What do you think about Rhododendron groenlandicum (aka Ledum groenlandicum)? It is "deer tolerant", meaning a few nibbles will not set if back too much. It is very hardy and suited to your more natural setting.

Raakel

7. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Already present and thriving! The wild ones (and the habitat) gave me the idea that rhodies might do well there. I banged in a pjm hybrid last summer and I'll see how it survives the winter. Looked on the Wrenhaven nursery site and wrote down some possibles from their listings. Lots of snow there in the winter to cover up any dwarf ones I order. I saw only one cold tolerent one, Repens satin, that needed shade.

8. 4moreaction

4moreaction Member

hi...

If you are after some really winterhardy rhododendrons the you should check this site *http://www.rhodogarden.com/main/index_1024_en.html*

It's a hobbyist from Finland who knows what he is writing!!

Finland is in northern scandinavia, neighbouring russia... and it is quite normal even in southern part of our country to get wintertemperatures around -30 C almost every winter for some 2-3 weeks!

Especially R x 'Helsinki University', R x 'St. Michel', R x 'Haaga', R x 'P.M.A. Tigerstedt', R x 'Pekka'... are worth mentioning... but there are even more there...

9. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Interesting site! Thanks for the link. I've found some rhododendron nurseries in the lower mainland and some have hardier varieties. I think I'll see about ordering a few of those.
    Suzy

10. 4moreaction

4moreaction Member

...ok... just wanted to add that these finnish hardy rhododenrons should be available also there in north-america also...

good luck with your rhodo gardening...

yours: Matti

11. flywaysuzy

flywaysuzy Member

Matti,
    That would be good for future purchases! Who will be handling them here in Canada, do you know?
    Suzy

12. smivies

smivies Active Member

The Finnish hybrids are readily available in Ontario and have been for a few years. Considering that the originating nurseries for Rhodos are likely in BC, they should be available their too?

Simon

13. 4moreaction

4moreaction Member

thanks smivies... i could not have listed any places... ;O))