Seed harvest

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by LPN, Oct 14, 2006.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would imagine many gardeners are collecting seed this time of year and through the winter. Here's the seed set on Melianthus villosus which I'll collect in late November. Any other seed harvesters out there?

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

I collect all the seeds from my various annuals in the fall and store them to be started in early april, its a great way to keep the costs of gardening down. Also so i will collect some seeds from my perrenials and shrubs and bring them to the annual seed/plant trade and see what new and interesting things i can get.

3. ginsenghamster

ginsenghamster Active Member 10 Years

I have a heap of seed from many species in various states of cleaning on my kitchen table. The assortment includes Magnolia (four flavours), Acer palmatum, Trillium and 'Black Russian' tomatoes. Currently I'm 'wrestling' with a nice batch of Decaisnea fargesii pods. Most of my seed goes toward seedy saturdays and other seed exchanges.

Good thing my husband is such a sport!

Anyone out there have any Magnolia seeds to trade or 'pick of the litter' come Autumn when they've grown a bit?

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I would normally harvest a lot of seed but moved everything this year so no seed collecting, but I did harvest a nice pod of Arisaema consanguinum, all cleaned and
    ready to go.

5. ginsenghamster

ginsenghamster Active Member 10 Years

Arisaema consanguineum?! Just what I've been looking for! What would you like in exchange? I have over 100 varieties from trees to veggies. Plunk me your wish list and I dearly love all the Arisaema seed you are willing to part with (even if its the entire lot!)

You've made me one happy camper!

Update: Thank you! Seed arrived safe and sound.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  6. John Allen

John Allen Member

My Acacia saligna has been very accomodating this summer. The overhanging branches and pods dropped seed straight onto the footpath. Just have to sweep them up. Another trick is pillow slips tied over the braches and green pods, so the seed is not lost when ripened. (This works out in the bush where there are no vandals) An old bed sheet beneath trees, pegged in place, collects seeds too. In my area (S'West Australia) summer arrives with a bang, and pods dry quickly...so I need to be able to spot shrubs and trees when ready and collect as quickly as possible before the seed ends up in the litter. Hardenbergia comptoniana seed is approx $200AU per kilo. It's green one week, ripe the next and the first hot DAY (35-40 deg C) and pods explode like fire crackers (usu. mid-December). Gotta be quick. Obviously diary entries help. That way, I know when and where to return the following year for collecting, and mistakes to avoid.