Lucky Bamboo Help: Yellow Leaf Tips

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rodomxoz, Dec 15, 2006.

1. rodomxoz

rodomxoz Member

Hello everyone

I have had a lucky bamboo in my office now for about 6 months. Its leaves are growing quite nicely actually but since a month ago the leave tips started getting yellow. I don't know much about plants but I have read that yellow tips are no good.

How can I get it back to being all green and lovely looking?

My lucky bamboo has a small stalk, quite a lot of roots and I got it "planted" in water in a small container.

2. kome

kome Active Member

3. rodomxoz

rodomxoz Member

Well, I have it in my office and I can't pot it in soil.

I read that the yellowness of all leaves could mean it does not like the water. I am "feeding" it the same water I drink which is bottled water, as you know the fame that Mexico "tap water" has :)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Get a nice flower pot with saucer you can have in office, pot in packaged potting soil labeled for use with house plants. If potting soil does not come with fertilizer mixed in get some house plant fertilizer and use per directions. If potting soil says it has fertilizer note how long it is supposed to last, begin fertilizing after that time has elapsed.

Move on to larger container when becomes crowded. In office growth may be slow, with repotting not needed for years.

If determined to keep in water then will have to grow hydroponically, changing water frequently to keep it fresh and using suitable liquid fertilizer applied to water. Will eventually starve and rot away if not given nutrients.

5. rodomxoz

rodomxoz Member

Ok, something I had not done was change the water. How frequent is frequent if I go for the water option?

And when do I know I need to move it to larger container even in water? I have been asking and people keep telling me I don't have to move it cause the "stalk" won't grow anymore.

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

Never grow anything in bottled water - the good (for a plant) trace nutrients may well have been removed, and others left in or introduced which you don't want (often deadly salts). Tap water is second only to rain water as the best thing you can use, even if it's hard, etc. Plus the leaves changed color a month ago possibly due to lower light levels (fewer hours of light a day), so you may want to water a bit less often til (or thru) February.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably starting to go yellow from lack of nutrients, and/or decay setting in or presence of undesirable mineral salts. Or possibly low indoor humidity.

Similar queries are frequent on gardening forums, the general problem will almost certainly be that the cuttings have been sitting in water for months and starting to have above listed issues.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  8. rodomxoz

rodomxoz Member

Well, it IS winter and it IS inside so I reckon low humidity is understandable due to indoor heating. It was actually my first guess so I tried watering the leaves directly too.

This week I'll try tap water and see how it goes with that through the rest of December, while I find a nice place to buy it nutrients and a slightly bigger home to keep its roots from getting cramped.

What do you all think? Good idea?