Can I grow Stargazer Lilies in southern Oregon

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Kelleyv, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Kelleyv

Kelleyv Member

Does anyone know what type of weather Stargazer lillies thrive in. Do they last through winter and re-bloom in spring? Can they grow in Southern Oregon? What is the best temperature to grow these lilies?

Thanks
    Kelley

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Stargazer (Oriental) Lily grows anywhere between Zone 4 and 9 and will do fine in Southern Oregon. The flowering stalk will die back in winter and new stalks will sprout from the bulb in Spring.

3. lilydude

lilydude Member

Where in southern Oregon?

4. Kelleyv

Kelleyv Member

Medford.

5. lilydude

lilydude Member

Stargazer is an Oriental hybrid lily. They do extremely well on the southern Oregon coast, and were grown commercially there for many years. They like a good loam soil, mildly acidic, some water and fertilizer in summer, and mild summer temperatures. Try mixing some fine bark mulch into your soil to a depth of about one foot; that will help provide the acidity and humus that they like. It gots awfully hot in Medford, so I recommend that you grow them where they get shade in the afternoon, like on the east side of the house. I would also mulch the soil with an inch of bark mulch, to keep it cool. A very good place for lilies is in a border of flowers or small shrubs, where the soil is shaded but the stem can reach the sun. Apply slug bait liberally in Spring as the new shoots are emerging out of the soil. Good luck!