Growing giant Himalayan lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by kittychic, Oct 2, 2006.

1. kittychic

kittychic Member

Re: Winter Care for Himalayan Giant Lilies

I live in zone 6 here in the Niagara region, am I able to grow these giant lilies. Do I have to bring the bulbs in for the winter? If I am starting them from seed what is the best way? Any information I can gather is great

Thanks So much
    Amy

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Winter Care for Himalayan Giant Lilies

First check winter hardiness ratings for this. Seeds will require years to reach flowering size, as with related plants.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Cardiocrinum giganteum from seed to flower will be a labour of love for sure (7 years??). It's generally considered a zone 7 or 7b bulb & I'm not sure it would appreciate being dug up every fall to be brought inside. Some say it may be hard to zone 6?

Try a small bulb or two first.....Fraser Thimble Farms

If you want to try a hardy Cardiocrinum, try C. cordatum or C. cordatum v. glehnii, both grow to ~6', unlike the ~15' of C. giganteum. Both are most available as seed....Gardens North

Simon

4. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    I have been successfully growing over a dozen plants of C. Giganteum for 7 years now in deep SW Ontario and I can tell you that it will NEVER reach 15' tall in our region . The normal may be 6' tall and the blooms are not really that special . I am a collector so it is more of an addition to the garden than something that will shock and awe any visitors. Lilium Orienpets are much larger and showier than any cardiocrinum .Forget about seed and purchase a bulb from a B.C. Nursery such as Fraser's Thimble Farms . Happy Growing !!

5. lilydude

lilydude Member

I agree, buy a bulb. Growing these things from seed is a nightmare.