Cany anyone identify these types of grapes?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Meeshy, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Meeshy

Meeshy Member

Hello, I just moved to northern arizona this past year and have several grape vines. I tried pruning them last winter (probably the first time they've ever been pruned) but not sure if I did it right. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell what types of grapes these are? Some had seeds and some didn't. Also, I installed a drip irrigation system and need to know how often to water during winter, spring, summer, and fall. I'd appreciate any help!

Attached Files:

2. daniewium

daniewium Member

Hi Meeshy, as I am from South Africa, I don't really know what your climate is like in Northern Arizona. When is you rain season and what kind of soil is the grape vine planted in. Give me those details and maybe I can give you an idea of how much water your grape vine needs. One interesting thing though, the symptoms for to much water is exactly the same as for not enough water. Be careful not to give to much water.

Some "home made" tricks I use:

What I usually do on my grape farm, is to dig a hole, 2 feet from the stem, about 6 - 8 inches deep and I take the soil in my hand and press it as hard as I can. If loamy soil makes a mud pie in my hand, I know there is enough water in the soil. If you have sandy soils, do the same as above, but it will probably not make a mud pie, but I will then, throw it away and blow over my hand. When your hand gets cold, it means that there is moisture in the soil (evaporation).

Always remember that drip irrigation has better results on sandy soils than on clay, because the water will spread more evenly.

Hope this was helpful.

And sorry, I can't identify the kind of grapes from your pic.

Have a Grape (Great) Day

Cheers
    Danie

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

It looks like "Chasselas" to me, based on the general leaf shape, loose conical cluster, and round (spherical) berry shape and color (though there is a bit more color than I would expect, so perhaps C. rose).

Ralph

4. Meeshy

Meeshy Member

Thank you both Danie and Ralph! I was excited to have someone all the way from South Africa reply! I'm not sure exactly what type of soil I have, it's just regular dirt to me. Our weather right now is about mid-70's (F) during the day and gets pretty cold at night to about mid-40's (F). Right now I'm watering about 3 times a week but will probably cut it down to twice a week soon. I'll try checking the soil like you said to see. Thanks.