Pistacia chinensis Keith Davey

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by lankyrighty, Nov 10, 2006.

1. lankyrighty

lankyrighty Member

I'm trying to find the original source of Pistacia chinensis Keith Davey, and I've run into some road blocks. My research leads me to the Saratoga Horticulture Foundation but I believe the organization has folded. I have not been able to locate any archived records that they may have available on line.
    I've also contacted the Davey Tree Service and was told that there is no connection. Apparently, there isn't a family member named Keith Davey.
    Does anyone have any information that can help my search?
    [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Here's an excerpt to add to the leads and background posted on the earlier thread on this same topic:

"A specimen 30 years old, selected in 1957 by the Saratoga Horticultural Foundation of California. Introduced in 1958. Named after Keith L. Davey (1907-1987), founder of Davey Tree Surgery Company in northern California. Sturdy branching structure; fruitless; dramatic orange-red fall color. Rare because it is difficult to propagate and grows slower than seedlings."

--Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees

If you can't find it using plant locators (there is at least one commercial plant source web site for California that I have seen) and calling around then maybe there just aren't any on the market at the moment.

If you are already growing it in a nursery yourself then maybe you can help make it more available. Micropropagation, perhaps?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  3. lankyrighty

lankyrighty Member

Thanks for the reply. We do grow and supply the tree to many other nurseries in the area, and I’d like to be able to supply the history of the tree to those that are interested.
    My research tells me that The Davey Tree Expert Company was founded in 1880 by John Davey. He had two sons, Wellinton & Jim. This company was founded in New York. Could there be another Davey Tree Company?

4. Ron B

Davey Tree Surgery Co is in Livermore. It's a subsidiary of Davey Tree Expert Co.

5. lankyrighty

lankyrighty Member

I've got it. This story comes through Visalia's Brian Kemph of the Urban Tree Foundation. Keith Davey was an employee for the city of Modesto, and he was the first to propagate the origional tree, which is in the cities maintenance yard. His interest was to produce a uniformly red tree for use as a street tree. Don Klime of Henderson's Experimental Gardens may have been the first to introduce it to the nursery trade.

6. Ron B

Great!

7. Texxsonn

Texxsonn Member

I am still looking for a nursery source for the Keith Davey chinese pistache. Any ideas? Best wishes to all. Did I miss something from the above?

Regards

Roy Stark

8. lankyrighty

lankyrighty Member

Roy,
    I am a nursery owner in California and we grow it. If you will contact me privately I may be able to help you.

Jon