Magnolia grandiflora

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by gardenmistress2003, May 15, 2004.

1. gardenmistress2003

gardenmistress2003 Member

I have 7 fifteen foot Magnolias, which were planted one year ago ,March. They are dropping an alarming number of leaves. They seem healthy otherwise, new growth and some flower buds, but this sudden leaf-drop has me very concerned. Is it a delayed stress reaction to the transplanting last year or a reaction to the cold winter we had? They came from the southern States, Georgia, I believe.
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Magnolia

We had someone else come in with the same problem of dying magnolia leaves. We believe that the dropping leaves are a response to the stress of last year's drought compounded by this years drought.

3. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

my grandifloras always lose leaves when they flower in may.
    I have about 3 20 year old 7 10 year old and 10 2-5 year olds.
    none have died

4. polarbear

polarbear Member

Magnolia grandiflora leaf drop

My Southern Magnolia at our townhouse in the Washington, DC area is doing the same thing, so it's reassuring to know that it's a normal seasonal process of dropping the older leaves, and not some disease or pest. That was my theory, but I couldn't recall what time of year to expect it, since some coniferous evergreens such as Eastern White Pine/Pinus strobus drop their older needles in October or so.