Identification: 2 strange plants. one secretes honey and the other is hairy. what are they?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by revolutiontoast, Nov 9, 2006.

1. revolutiontoast

revolutiontoast Member

one plant is tall, and grows strange shaped leaves, often with a bit of a horn on the end of each leave. each leave grows slightly differently and always has an interesting varied shape by the time it falls off. during the time that I have owned it it put out a long, thick, stemlike object with hornlike things growing off of it. out of the base of each horn pair a drop of honey shone. i tasted it and it was really good! No bees in the house to use it however. then this plant surprised me even more! it put out another thick branch like stick which was covered by round balls on stems, like a slugs eye stalk. then, as if I wasnt surprised enough already, each of the small green spheres on stems suddenly opened and was a big yellow polleny coated minature firework. very cool plant. ive tried all over to find out what it is. but i dont know how to describe the parts of it to search properly. i really want this plant to thrive so i need to know what it needs most to do so. and cant find that out without knowing what it is.

the next plant, is a new one from 'ikea'. my girlfriend liked it. except that it doesnt look in very good condition and will need some help right away. it has pinkish stems that are covered in 'hair'. the leaves are broad, wrinkled, and have a mottled green/silverish look to them. the outides of almost all the leaves on this plant are damaged, i hope it doesnt die.

thanks for any help if someone can identify them.

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

I wonder if the first one isn't some (unusual) kind of croton - they do come in some fairly odd patterns (and BTW, you don't 'know' that was honey, and could have been dangerous!). The second plant is a begonia, tuberous I think, and may have been overwatered.

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Agreed, but I think that the begonia is a "Rieger Begonia".

4. revolutiontoast

revolutiontoast Member

tasting the honey like substance was an accident. it got on my finger while i was handling it and i touched my lip afterwards by chance and noticed the taste. we just moved recently and it has been in a new position with different light and heat and a lot of the older leaves have fallen off. i would like very much to know what it needs exactly to help it live.

5. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I think the second begonia is rhizomatous, possibly rex-cultorum.