theraputic horticulture

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Garyon, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Garyon

Garyon Member

This is my second attempt to get this question in the right place.

I am interested in getting documentation on the efficacy of theraputic horiticulture as a rehabilitation therapy, especially in mental health. Can you recommend research/sites/etc or share personal experience?

Also, how do I delete the string I started in the incorrect forum?

2. majohnson

majohnson Member

As 3 time looser to spine surgeries, I started as an effort to hide from the reality of how bad life can become.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

You don't have to delete the other thread; it will just scroll down as new posts are added, or the moderator will take care of it.

As for you actual topic, I have no real help to offer except to suggest that libraries, especially university libraries, might have some info. Also, check out the sidebar on this page, and follow the link to "Other Forums." Go to GardenWeb, which has a forum on Accessible Gardening, and there might be something even closer.

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Hort therapy has been used in the BC prison system. I'm afraid I have no personal links or info to offer but perhaps you could try to track something thru "Corrections BC" or on the BC government sites.

Ralph

5. Garyon

Garyon Member

thanks. I'll keep researching
    I'm looking towards a major career change

6. Garyon

Garyon Member

has it allowed you to refocus and tolerate the situation? has your quality of life improved with horticultural persuits?

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I can only find two descriptive journal articles on Horticultural Therapy. I am surprised. I suppose it's the kind of medical research that isn't going to attract much in the way of grant$.

I can e-mail the abstracts to you if you are interested.

8. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

The cardio unit at Surrey Hospital (Vancouver BC) promotes gardening as a therapy as well a form of excercise for people recovering from heart incidents/surgery/angioplasty/etc (my spelling is bad sorry)....

9. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Soderback, I. et al. Horticultural therapy: the 'healing garden' and gardening in rehabilitation measures at Danderyd Hospital Rehabilitation Clinic, Sweden. Pediatr Rehabil. 2004 Oct-Dec;7(4):245-60. Review. PMID: 15513768.

To read the abstract of this article, enter the PMID number into the Search box at www.pubmed.gov. Usually these articles are only available online for a fee, but we are in luck. The publishers, Taylor & Francis Group, currently have this particular issue available as a free sample copy at http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/13638491.html. Registration is required, however the article contains a review of the literature with 116 references, so it is well worth it while the offer is available.

10. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I recall seeing programs on the t.v. about such programmes so you might try some of their web pages. You might also try the occupational and physio therapy departments of universities. They might also allow you to post the question on related forums.
    Just a few vague thoughts. Think that such programmes are very valuable.
    Good luck
    Margaret

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

12. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Theraputic gardening went on at Riverview Hospital,Coquitlam,B.C. in one form or another for many years. The last incarnation of it was abruptly shut down only a couple of years ago, a few of the patients still tend the remaining plants by themselves. Try and search these links:
    Riverview Hospital library,(located in the Heny Esson Young,(HEY) building): Riverview Hospital library: http://www.bcmhas.ca/Library/AboutLibrary/default.htm
    The librarians, will also do searches for you.
    I have been doing active research into the Riverview-Colony Farm history, and the gardening aspect is usually lumped in under Recreational Therapy. Recreational Therapy,(R.T.) is something that Riverview, at one time carried out on a grand scale, much reduced today.

B.C.Mental Health Addictions Society,(this society manages Riverview): http://www.bcmhas.ca/default.htm

This therapy does work with certain individuals, millions of able-bodied folks are doing the same thing, just under a different name;AKA Gardening. A few of us local volunteers, still tend a 2 acre garden, named Finnies Garden, at Riverview, that was set aside just for the patients in 1951, the awakening of the patients to this garden is startling to read about in the patients newsletter "The Leader" 1948-77. If you want more information just get in touch.

13. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I live right above the hill from Riverview Hospital. I walk the dog in the grounds of the hospital regularly and Finnie's Garden is our favourite haunt. (Favourites with the dog because of a pack of Coyotes who reside in the grounds. Did you know that those coyotes will bay in response to the sirens of ambulances, police cars or fire trucks?). Perhaps, more could be done to maintain that place, but don't forget that most of the planting and tending is through volunteers. It's a project that's ripe for a benevolent garden club or society to offer assistance.

14. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

I personally know of a number of medical professionals, who have taken up the hobby of gardening as a means to relieve stress they undergo whilst at work. I would claim that it is easier to train a bonsai that to train a human being, because bonsai is always trainable and the plant can adapt to changing enviroments without apparently suffering from stress. Being close to nature always calm my nerves as they do not race against time and do their things as nature dictates to them. They are not the ones who are always inventing short cuts to life's problems and they have certainly earned my greatest admiration.