Bracket Fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ken Ramos, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Ken Ramos

Ken Ramos Member

I recently collected some bracket fungi to try and determine what type(s) of algae that there were growing on its upper surface. Prior to removing some of the algae to prepare a wet mount slide for examination, I placed the bracket fungi on the stage of my stereomicroscope for a general magnified view of the top surface area. I noticed small stalked formations rising up from the surface of the fungi and as of yet have I not found any reference to these growths, maybe I have not looked in the right places but I am hoping someone here may know right off hand what they are.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Perlmutter

Gary Perlmutter Member

Those are stubble or pin lichens. If you take one and examine it under a compound microscope, you should see that the head-like tip is a mass of spores called a mazaedium. Steven Selva of the University of Fort Kent, Maine is an expert on these lichens. An online key to this group can be found here: http://www.thavibu.com/caliciales/index.htm. The order Caliciales no longer exists as these fungi (both lichenized and not) have recently been found to be polyphyletic - some seem to be a specialized form of Buellia. Nice find.

3. Ken Ramos

Ken Ramos Member

No wonder I could not find much or anything on these things. I never would have suspeceted them to be lichens. Thank you for the identification and for the link Gary, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Ken

4. Gary Perlmutter

Gary Perlmutter Member

Anytime Ken,

Did I mention that the presence of these lichens is an indicator of environmental health? I learned all this from Dr. Selva at the first Lichen Bio-quest at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park back in 2004. I don't know if the Park will be holding another one soon, but I would recommend checking it out.

Gary

5. Ken Ramos

Ken Ramos Member

Something of that nature would be interesting to attend, there is so little that anyone finds anymore that is worthwhile. Yes, I have read many times of lichens along with some other organisms as being bio-indicators for our environment. Lichens are used to monitor air quality as Mayfly nymphs are to stream water quality. Speaking of the GSMNP, the ATBI (All Taxa Bio-diversity Inventory) is going on up there also. It would be interesting to see an up to date report on that endevor. I have read a few from sometime back and the last I recall they were cataloging beetles and that less than 50% of what lives there has only been cataloged as yet. One report said that the biodiversity of the mountain areas there are staggering and I would assume that would apply to the entire Appalachian Mountain range as well, the oldest mountains in the world you know, and they are at our backdoor!

Regards, Ken