Mystery aster

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Raniusia, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Raniusia

Raniusia Member

This very pretty perennial aster flowered in my garden starting in September and continued well into October. I'm in zone 6. There are two possibilities as far as I know- it is either A.frikartii, cultivar unknown, or Aster amellus. The leaves and stems are rather rough to the touch, flowers very beautiful violet, fading in time to white (rather unusual). Any thoughts?

R.

Attached Files:

2. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I grew a plant this summer that resembled this quite a bit, I don't know if they are the same exact species, but mine was Bachelor's Buttons, Cornflower, think it goes by several names. Mine had rather rough leaves too, very pretty and beautiful and the bees go nuts over it.

3. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

Look up Mountain Bluet on the internet. It is also known as Bachelor Buttons, Cornflower, the picture that you see there does look quite a bit like your pretty blue flower. See what you think. Cindi

4. Raniusia

Raniusia Member

Look, I grow Centaurea montana =Mountain Bluet (two cultivars - blue and white), Centaurea macrocephala, Centaurea dealbata, Centaurea cana and Centaurea bella in my garden. The plant pictured in photos is an aster - there never has been any doubt about that:)

R.

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

The A. amellus cultivars 'King George' and 'Veilchenkonigin' are possibilities.