what do i do for winterizing rose bushes

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by cliffordwalton, Nov 2, 2006.

1. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

hello i have two huge rose bushes and im not sure if i should cut it back for winter before the snow startes to fly or should i just leave it but just looking for info on what to do with them they havent really bloomed this past year not sure if it to do with the climate or just the bushes im in nova scotia so it could be the weather but yes if anyone has any information on what i should do it would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

rose bushes

not sure if i shoudl cut them back now or wait till spring does anyone know what to do with them

Attached Files:

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

They look like Rugosa hybrids, which are very cold hardy. But they sure look like they need some serious pruning. It doesn't look like they have seen a pair of secateurs for a while. That would be one of the reasons why it hasn't flowered well. Those bushes look like they are crowded with weak feeble canes in the middle. I see plentiful older canes too. To prune, remove all the:
    (1) smaller weaker canes
    (2) diseased or damaged canes
    (3) Old canes
    (4) canes that are crossing and rubbing against each other.
    The idea is to have a few strong, relatively young canes evenly distributed. ONce you have achieved this, cut back the remaining canes by about 1/3 or their lengths.

This American Rose Society article gives good tips on pruning.

4. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

what time of year is good to do this should i wait til the spring time to cut ti back or go to it now
    but ya thanks for the information

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It's a good idea to get rid of the old, damaged, diseased and unproductive canes now, before the winter sets it. I would trim the remaining canes back to a few leaf nodes longer than desired, to allow for winter die back. I do a second round of pruning in the early spring. Shortening the canes reduce breakage from the snow load.