Is anyone growing Ginkgo biloba Shangri-La?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by treelover3, Oct 28, 2006.

1. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

I am interested in this Ginkgo due to its reported "fast" growth rate. Is anyone growing this cultivar and, if so, what are your opinions?

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad.
    Thanks

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

My first thought is that you live in 1-2 zones colder than it might be really comfortable. That's unfortunate, but true - unless your planned location for it really has an unusual 'microclimate' (somewhere on your lot particularly protected by a lot of other trees, unusually sunny all day, with great (but fast draining) soil, etc. They're nice to grow, unless you get a female (not that likely) because they get messy in spring, and smelly!

3. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Hi Rima,
    I live in MN, in zone 4a, and Ginkgoes grow just fine here without any protection at all. I found a local nursery that carried this cultivar this season, but it's questionable as to whether they will have the tree next season.

Everything I have read about this cultivar says that the tree is "fast growing", and that's really appealing since Ginkgoes normally grow a foot or less per year, here.
    Mike

4. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

Are you able to get good fall color in Minnesota? Or do the leaves get killed off before turning?

5. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Most of the time the leaves are killed due to frost. The trees growing in downtown Minneapolis usually turn a nice yellow due to the heat-island effect of the city, so those trees escape many of the early-Fall frosts.