Best way to kill Wisteria

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by benchris123, Aug 29, 2006.

1. benchris123

benchris123 Member

Best way to kill Wisteria?

I built a deck in my backyard about a year ago. Last week one wisteria shoot sprung up through the deck boards. I can't tell you how depressed I got because I know from experience how hard wisteria is to remove and how much it can get out of control. Here is the bigger problem: I cannot physically get under the deck to the source (I'm not even sure where the source is!) The 1/4" - 1/2 " space between the deck boards is my only access to the ground underneath the deck.

Is there any way to kill the wisteria by applying something to the leaves of the shoot?
    I am deserate for any ideas you might have. Thanks so much for your consideration.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I used repeated applications of Round-Up over the course of several years.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I agree, if you can't get to it, then round up will be the only thing I could think of.

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Roundup is definitely appropriate for wisteria. http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/wist1.htm. According to the company, the '0.5% non-ionic surfactant' recommended in the article is already in the product, so the product with either the 'blue cap' or the 'yellow cap' will work. The former is the general weed killer, the latter is the tough brush killer for poison-ivy and blackberry. Good luck!

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. benchris123

benchris123 Member

Thanks everyone, you've all been helpful. And thanks Newt for the new twist on using the roundup. So if i understand this correctly, Newt, the tips of the leaves are in the roundup for 48 hours and then I cut the tips off so I can take the container to a safe place to remove the tips still connected to the lid of the container? i will definitely try this. Thanks so much for your reply.

benchris

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would seem that after a year without any new Wisteria shoots coming up, it managed to send a new one late this year. This is in an established cacti & succullent garden making it difficult to deal with. Man that Wisteria is one persistant beast!

Cheers, LPN.

8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Benchris, yes, put the leaves in the solution, not just the tips of the leaves. I usually put as much of the end tip of the vine as possible in the solution. You are correct about the rest. Cut the vine above the lid after 48 hours and then remove the vine from the solution somewhere 'safe' from splashing on other plants - and on you!

LPN, if you could see the roots underground you would see how thick parts of it are. That is why you need to leave the vines in the solution for so long. Just leave a bit of the root in the ground and you will have sprouts.

Newt

9. ostmark

ostmark New Member

Rather than attempting to soak Wisteria leaves in Round-Up, just spray them with a 8 to 10 % solution using a surfactant (spreader-sticker). Same results, much less hassle! A 2 to 5% solution of Trichlopyr (sold as a 61% concentrate under Garlon, Element 4, or other trade names) will work as well or better! Wisteria is a BEAST to control, hence the high concentration $ required! Best of luck