Citron Etrog

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by ronenzzz, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

Hey folks,

I really want to plant an citron etrog tree from some seeds.

I have a really beautiful citron etrog and am about to open it up for making a jam.

What do i do with the seeds.

Do I have to dry them out before planting?

Do plant them directly into dirt?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ronen

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

If they are like other citrus just take the seeds and plant them in a good, well drained potting mix and keep it warm and moist. Wash the seeds well first. Pretty simple really.

3. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

so i dont need to dry the seeds?

4. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

Another question

can you refer me to a good web page

with detailed instructions on planting the seeds/stuff to use /etc

Thanks

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

6. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

thank you very much

7. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Ronen growing them from seed will take years to produce fruit. Being you are located in Israel you should have no problem obtaining a mature plant. Etrog also root very easy from cuttings. Cutting a branch from a mature tree & rooting it will produce fruit in a year or two.

8. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

Thanks for the advice,

I just have no idea where to find a branch from an etrog tree.

Nurseries dont have them.

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I would be very surprised if etrog trees weren't available in Israel due to the cultural significance of the fruit. Anyway, have a look at the thread http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/17534 for sources. The first and third nurseries on the list appear to carry etrog trees.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  10. ronenzzz

ronenzzz Member

I really appreciate the list you sent me.

But allow me to expand on the subject of Etrog trees.

As you may already know Jews use the etrog for religious services during the holiday of Succot (I think thats tabernacles in English.)

Now the etrog to be used has to be a pure strain that a tradition can verify. For example, hybrids are a strictly not allowed.

There are certain breeds that are trusted today such as the Yeminite etrog and the Hazon Ish etrog.

I happen to have the seeds from two such etrogs (one of each) that are certifiably kosher.

I will definately call these nurseries you listed, but unless their etrog trees are certified by a trusted rabbinic authority than they would be useless to me.

Also, the major reason that i want to plant the seeds of a particular etrog i had this year, the Chazon Ish etrog, is because i found it to be particularly beautiful and was hoping . . well you get the picture.

Now i have read on the forums of this site (excellent forums by the way) about the thing that becuase farmers do all this stuff therefore the plant you get form the seeds may be different than the plant that gave the fruit, and may not give any fruit at all (from what I understood this is also arguable.)

But if this fruit came from trees that werent crossed or hybrids or whatever (sorry im not an expert in this subject) then the seeds should give me a tree which in turn should produce fruit similar to the fruit the seeds came from.

I know it make many years to bear fruit but i was hoping to also have a couple of them as indoor plants if possible.

What do you think?

Ronen

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Good luck in your quest to acquire something special to grow, Ronen. Plant the seeds from the fruit while they're still fresh then continue to search for trees or cuttings. You can decide what to do with them later. Try to get some cuttings as Laaz suggested. Perhaps you can find an etrog farm nearby with an agreeable grower who would allow you to take some. I imagine trees being grown for the fruit would very likely be kosher and thus be acceptable to you.
    I'm no expert either but that's what I would expect. The keyword is 'similar' as etrog seeds are zygotic.

In case you missed it, here is a link to Zaide Reuven's Esrog Farm. The information there may be of interest to you.

12. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

Ronen,
    I stumbled on this link today and my first thought was of this thread..
    I think all the facts on this web site would apply to any citrus seed with the exception of storing the seeds.. the longer between coming from the fruit and planting the less the chances of the seed surviving.. A dried citrus seed still has a chance but it is GREATLY reduced..

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00155.asp

I hope this helps!! Good luck!!!
    Let us know how it goes!!
    Gina *BabyBlue*