trachycarpus fortunei

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by connie, May 4, 2004.

1. connie

connie Member

Good Day to you! I just purchased two windmills and was wondering upon transplanting them from the pots, if I can put them in large resin pots? Love this web site, keep it up!

2. Ryan_DeJager

Ryan_DeJager Member

I don't see why not.

I don't see why you couldn't transplant them to bigger pots. One of the keys for palms is to make sure wherever they are, pots or garden, they get good drainage. They aren't huge fans of waterlogged soil. I just convinced my dad to but two palms (I'm only in gr. 12), and we have them in well drained soil. While your doing the transplanting, you might as well do a bit of fertilization. Man, when we gave them some fertilizer right away the fronds stuck straight up looking strong and healthy. I think you use 20-20-20 this time of year, until beginning/mid august. Good luck with the palms!

~Ryan, a Vancouver palm dude

3. connie

connie Member

Hey Ryan,
    Many thanks for your reply! I was waiting to transplant until I heard from someone and you sound like a real expert. You rock!

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Transplanting trachycarpus fortunei

The following was sent via email:

I need help transplanting a windmill palm in Tacoma, WA. Can you give me any helpful advice?

(In the posts above we see that well drained soil is important. Any more advice for people transplanting this plant?)