British Columbia: Fall Swap, Oct 15 2006, Burnaby

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by dahliadaze, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Re: Fall Swap, Oct 15, Burnaby

Thanks Cecilia for hosting!!!

it's always great to see everyone again and meet newbies.

See y'all in the Spring!

GF

2. forestlover

forestlover Member

Hi all:

Oh yea, I did mention to BC Gift quite awhile back that I might want to host the swap in the Spring.

I have to give that a long, hard thought over winter as I haven't done much in my garden this year due to being so busy with my work.

I'll let you all know late winter if I'm hosting the swap. I'd like to host it (good way to get rid of all those extra winter-sown seedlings that I'm always drowning in :)

Cheers, J J

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi all, well the weather sure didn't put much of a damper on the trading; that was a really enjoyable afternoon. Cecelia thank you so much for hosting, and your baking and hot chocolate really enhanced things. It was nice to see both familiar and new faces, and many thanks for the plants exchanged.

Aussiebob, I owe you some ferns in spring, and Cecelia, here is a link to the succulent I mentioned; let me know if you'd like some: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbilicus_rupestris. If anyone else wants some of this speak now; the pot it's in is carpeted with seedlings and I will save as many as I need. It's summer dormant and likes some shade, I think.

JJ, I hope you can host in spring, but if not my yard MAY be ready.

4. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Karinl, that is a very unusual looking succulant.

Can you please save a baby for me please?

Thanks, Karen.

5. joecat

joecat Active Member

Hi Belinda,
    I had to look up what an Aralia is -- as long as it is not too much of an issue with a pair of gloves, I'm up for a challenge. I only have to fight ferns and morning glory at my place :P. What area do you live in? Send me a PM if you want set something up.
    Karen

6. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

Thanks everyone for a great afternoon of swapping plants...I enjoyed meeting you all for the first time and putting faces to names. I can't think of any other activity that has kept me happy standing in the rain. I appreciate everything that each of you gave me...I'm fairly early in the process of landscaping and trying to work with our forest setting, so I need to collect quite a few plants until I get things established. Please let me know if the plants I gave you don't make it...I'd gladly replace them in spring.

Cecelia, Thanks so much for hosting the fall swap and for all your hospitable touches like hot drinks and fresh baked cinnamon buns, etc. Sounds like everyone's game for a spring swap too, so I'll be there with bells on.

Cecelia, can you reserve a Eucalyptus seed or seedling from your tree for me please? Can hardly wait to clip branches from my own collection of Euc. trees for floral arangements.

KarinL, yes I'd love to have one of those unusual baby succulents that you mentioned. I'm game to try just about anything that people are willing to share.

7. Candy

Candy Active Member

Hi all:
    I had a great time again. My sister, Robin, was thrilled to meet all the other gardeners, and to add to her new garden (my other sister, who wasn't there but shares a yard with Robin, was also thrilled with the additions).

The homemade cinnamon buns were fabulous.

I'd love to host in the spring, but I think my yard layout might make it difficult. My front yard is half 45-degree driveway and half flowers. The backyard has a gazebo we could stand under if it rains, but that would require carting plants to the backyard (though I do have a couple of flat dollies...)

Anyway, I could make it work if JJ can't host.

I'm in Burnaby, relatively close to where Cecilia lives.

See y'all in the spring.

P.S. I mentioned 'Craigslist' as a source of free landscape/gardening supplies. Here's a link to a post for free sand.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/zip/221495938.html

Candy

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  8. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

Hi everyone
    I missed you and missed this fun day- been too busy lately:( Hope to see you all in the spring.
    Karin could you save some seedlings of this unusual succulent for me, please.
    JJ- your yellow brug was absolutely amazing! What a perfume!
    BTW will have some brug cuttings in 1-2 weeks if somebody interested.

9. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

I'm thrilled so many of you were able to make it, and enjoyed the hot chocolate and buns - you're troopers even with the rain! Thanks for all the contributions to the food as well as the swap. Who brought those cookies? They were awesome. Not too sweet. I'd love the recipe - I'll try to bake the buns again next swap.

Karin, sure I'll try a little baby Umbilicus Rupestris - no wonder you couldn't remember the name.

Vincent, I've got a huge bag and a tray full of stuff for you in the back, near the cart. Lemme know when you might come by?

Everyone, I am anticipating the euc's seeds (this is the first year I've seen buds), and will let you know the status. Thanks Adrian for teaching us so much about eucs. Till then, anyone who would like some for floral arrangements, please just let me know - I need to trim it anyway!

Thanks for creating such a generous, fun-filled afternoon!

Cecelia

10. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

Cecelia....

thanks for the weekend hospitality......and thanks for loading my kid up with cinnamon buns and hot chocolate.....he was still bouncing at 8:00pm.....

I'm fairly sure your Euc is an E Cinerea....

There is lots of stuff on the web if you google

but you could also do a little hunting around in

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/

http://www.australiaplants.com/index.htm

voala...

11. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

It sounds like it was fun (as usual). I hate missing these but family duty calls...

I am looking forward to the spring.

Any idea of a date JJ? I have a couple of trips away in the spring next year.

Westcoastgarden

12. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

sorry I missed it, I realized at the last minute on Sunday morning that there was a Riverview walk at 1pm also that I needed to attend. perhaps if there is a swap in the spring....

13. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

Cecelia - Yes, I'd love to have some Euc branches/stems for floral arrangements whenever you decide to trim the tree. That's what I'm all about. If you're wondering about timing, maybe late Nov/early Dec would work well for doing arrangements for Christmas gift giving and hostess gifts. Having said that, I'll take them anytime if you need to hack it down to a manageable size before then. Thanks a bunch! This is such great fun!

14. Candy

Candy Active Member

Cecilia
    I, too, would love some cuttings of your eucalypt for floral arrangements. I LOVE the smell. If you click on my name, you can send me an email.
    thx
    c