Please help me id this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by claudinam, Oct 15, 2006.

1. claudinam

claudinam Member

Hi,

If anybody can help me figure out the name of this plant, I would appreciate it.

This plant was in very low light conditions for a couple of years. Now that I'm in South Florida (it's been 2 months) its health has definitely improved. But I wish it wasn't so "leggy." Would trimming it help? If so, should I trim all the branches? And can I do it now (late October) or do I need to wait for next Spring?

Thanks!

P.S.: Please let me know if it would be helpful to take a close-up picture of its "trunk" or leaves.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

You have a dracaena reflexia "song of jamiaca". It would be useful to give it a good hard pruning and since you live in florida It should be fine to prune it now.

3. claudinam

claudinam Member

Thanks so much James.

How certain are you that it's a Dracaena Reflexa? I'm asking because someone else had made the same ID, but it really didn't look like it to me based on the pictures I found on the Internet. If I could find a close-up of what its trunk looks like it would be helpful.

Assuming this is indeed a Dracaena Reflexa, how far down should I prune? Just in case should I prune just a couple of trunks only? Do the cuts need to be disinfected?

I would appreciate your guidance.

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

It is Pleomele reflexa

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

It is a draceana reflexia and they can all look a little bit different depending on hoe much light and fertillizer they have gotten. I suggest cutting the 2 tallest trunks by half and then placing them either in water to grow roots or put rooting hormone on them and placing them in the same pot for a more full look. For the rest of them just kep in mind what look you wantthe plant to have later and remeber that it will mostly send out new shoots a few inches below the cut, so cut it where ever you like depending on what size you want it to be.

6. claudinam

claudinam Member

OK James, thanks. I'm a little afraid to prune it, but I guess it's the only way.

7. claudinam

claudinam Member

Thanks to you also, Nandan.

8. James D.

James D. Active Member

You shouldn't be afraid, sometimes you have to be ruthless with your plants.

9. claudinam

claudinam Member

:) OK

Maybe I can let you know how she turns out.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.