paulownia question

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by robin1, Oct 4, 2006.

1. robin1

robin1 Member

I have several Paulownia trees that I planted in the spring of 2005. All have seeds this year except for one. There are small plants comeing up around that one, must be from the root. Is there some way I can take them off the root and put them in a different area If so please tell me how.
    Thanks

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. robin1

robin1 Member

No, I did not know that, thanks! Glad we own a backhoe they will be easier to dig up.
    Robin

4. Newt

Robin, you are so very welcome! It frustrates me when plant material that is invasive is sold in the area where it's an invasive.

Newt

5. robin1

robin1 Member

I know, it is terrible. The companys should have to state that they can't sell to those states. These are beautiful trees and it's a shame to have to distroy them but guess there is no choice, so tomorrow we dig them up. Mimosa is also invasive, it is everywhere. I even saw oleander on one list of invasive plants.
    Well, thanks again for the bad news,LOL.
    Robin

6. Newt

Robin, that is so commendable of you to remove them after such a recent purchase and the work that went in to planting. I've done the same. I was given a seedling and was told it was some type of salvia. The following year it bloomed and didn't look like a salvia to me. It turned out to be purple loosestrife!! The only way to be sure you eliminate it is to burn it, roots and all. I dug it up and gave it a place of honor in my fireplace! I couldn't convince the person who gave it to me to do the same. :(

Newt

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I agree with Newt's sentiments.

8. curious2

curious2 Member

When you say a plant is registered as invasive, does that mean it is illegal?

Also, the link Newt provided was for Paulownia Tomentosa. I'm no plant person, so I don't know if this is a particular Paulownia or the full name for what people commonly call just Paulowania. That said, would all Paula\owania trees be considered invasive in Texas?

9. robin1

robin1 Member

I don't think it is illegal, There are lots of other plants invasive to Texas also, such as the mimosa, wisteria, and catalpa (if I spelled that right) but they are still sold and purchased often.
    Robin