British Columbia: Fall Swap, Oct 15 2006, Burnaby

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by dahliadaze, Sep 18, 2006.

1. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

Re: Fall Swap, Oct 15, Burnaby

bcgift: I just got my first Euryops/Daisy plants end of August. My bush will stay in the ground with a mound of mulch on top. My tree is in a big pot which will be brought into garage/shed for winter. This is my first experience with it but I understand they're kinda sensitive and not considered winter hardy. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Gardenfever: got you down for those. I have a salvia officinale 'Purpurescens' so if yours is different, I'll take it - or Ajuga Bronze 'whatnot' and the hardy geranium you mention.

Courtyard: I'd like to try your Euryops and the purple smoke bush.

3. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

G'day All....

I have some seeds.....Snow Gum (Eucalyptus Pauciflora), Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus regnans), Astelia chathamica, Silk Oak (Grevilia robusta) and for the adventurous Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina).

And I'm looking for seeds for King William Pine (Athrotaxis selaginoides) and Pacific Yew

Cheers

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've posted the swap to the Events Calendar here (did you know there was one?)

If you're forgetful like I am, you can click on "Request Reminder For This Event" in the upper right corner of the event post, and the software will send you an email reminder prior to the event (anywhere from 45mins prior to 3 days prior)

5. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Bcgift, I think it may be the same but I'll bring the sage, ajuga, and geranium anyway.

I just added a few more things to my list.

Helen, I think the RdV is finally rooted but there's not been much top growth at all - it needs to be repotted in soil as I had rooted it in perlite only. It also needs to be protected over winter I imagine. I'll bring that with me Sunday.

I just bought some garlic and would like to trade some for other varieties if anyone is interested. I've edited my list and added it in there.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Thanks GardenFever. Now I better look for a place to plant the RdV. I would also like some garlic bulbs please. Sorry. I don't have any different garlic to trade. But would you like 5 Rembrant tulip bulbs for a couple of garlic bulbs?

Karin: Yes, I'll bring some sage cuttings for you.

Everyone: I'll just dig whatever I don't want anymore and hopefully someone (maybe a newbie here) would take them. Mostly are shade loving plants. My neighbour removed his douglas fir and all my shade plants got burnt this year.

7. Gardenfever

Hi Helen,

Sounds goods but how about I give you half a head of each so then you get a few cloves of from each of the 4 varieties I have. Instead of the Rembrandts can I just get a cutting of your tricolor sage?

I'm going to try to root other roses again - my other cuttings didn't make it and I think you wanted Sally Holmes right?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  8. Gardenfever

Candy,

I'm interested in your egyptian onions. Is there anything on my list that may entice you to trade?

9. Candy

Candy Active Member

Gardenfever, the E. Onions are yours.

I'm interested in some pink hardy geraniums, please.

10. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

Hi everyone, I was warned not to post my address here, so please send me a message if you need it. Looking forward to Sunday!

Cecelia

11. Gardenfever

Hi Candy,

I'll bring the hardy geraniums for the egyption onions.

Thanks.

12. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

gardenfever: will bring you some sage. Thanks! And I think I'll skip Sally. I really have no more room.

13. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

tigerlily: would like a piece of that light purple japanese anemone, please.

14. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

GF: Would also be interested in King Humbert and Superstition Iris. Maybe even the jasmine. Let me know what you would like in return. I have a pond plant and for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called right at this moment - brain freeze - it will come to me in the middle of the night. Anyway, it's a texas native and has dark wine purple flowers - it is tres cool. I'm not sure about hardiness, although I have had it in a pot over last winter but then last winter wasn't normal.

15. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

GF: The water plant is Thalia dealbata. Horticopia says it's hardy to Zone 7.

16. Gardenfever

Hi bcgift, I'll bring the canna king humbert, a piece of I. Superstition and I'll dig up the jasmine too for the tres cool plant. I probably owe you something from the past.

The jasmine is pretty - it's not as fragrant as the less hardy jasmines but this one you don't have to baby; although I do have it on my house so that may make a difference. I actually have 2 at the front door and kinda need to make room to plant a borderline hardy passionflower.

17. forestlover

forestlover Member

Hi all:

Sorry I can't make it to the swap this time. I'm working all weekend. But I'll have a ton of stuff to trade at the Spring swap.

Hope you all have fun. I'm going to miss being there.

Cheers, J J

18. Vincent

Vincent Member

I wont be at this one either but I did a drop off this morning at Cecelia's. Unfortunately I had to leave the house before sun up this morning, and was unable to see enough to dig up rosa rugosa and anemone that I wanted to include. I can bring carex morrowii ornamental grass also if of interest Cecelia. If there are any items to pickup, I could also drop off wild rose and anemone for Courtyardgardener however its convenient.

19. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Oops, I didn't take down the address, and forgot to email Cecilia for the address, so Cecilia or anyone who has the address, please email me. Thanks.

20. Gardenfever

bcgift, I emailed you with the addy.

gardenfever

21. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Yes I got it, thank you. See you all tomorrow.

22. Magua

Magua Member

Alas, I won't be able to make it this morning/afternoon. I'm on night shifts now, so I'll be sleeping in the morning, and by the time I would be able to get there, everyone would be long gone. :( I'll be sure to have lots of seedlings ready for the Spring swap, though. I've just been going through all the seeds I already have, and am starting to form my evil plan to sow the world!!! Enjoy, all... :)

23. joecat

joecat Active Member

Ooh, this looks like a lot of fun!
    I'm a new gardener starting out so I don't have much I can divide right now.

I'll look around to see what I have, but I'm willing to trade a couple hours of labour, if anyone needs digging, weeding or moving stuff. Is that allowed in a trade?

Any chance you'll be doing this again in the spring?

Karen

24. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hi Joecat
    We have been doing this for several years now, each Spring and Fall.

I'd be happy to trade for some digging - do you want to take on some digging up of very thorny and root wandering Aralia ?
    Belinda

25. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hey all,
    It was great to see everyone again, and the new faces as well. Thank you Cecilia for hosting and everyone for all for the goodies.

Those who couldn't make it, we missed you - by the way JJ, I volunteered you as hostess for the Spring Swap so if you don't plan to be there, we're all coming to your place anyway.