Questions re: Japanese Snowbell Carillon

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by stevengardening, Oct 7, 2006.

1. stevengardening

stevengardening Member

Hi,

I live in Port Moody, BC, where we get plenty of rain over the fall and winter months, and only 5-6 days with temperatures cooler than 0 celcius. In May I bought a Japanese Snowbell 'Carillon' and planted it in 10-inch diameter frost-proof pot.

Given the local climatic conditions, is it okay to leave the tree out on my south-facing patio, exposed over the winter. Should it be mulched?

Is fall or spring pruning is better for the Carillon? How much of the new wood should be pruned?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Attached Files:

2. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

I think it will be fine but if you have reason to believe that there might be enough frost to freeze the pot solid, you could move it or wrap it till the danger passed.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mine has survived two winters now on a southeast facing highrise balcony without mulching. I'd be curious to learn about pruning requirements as well.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

On the other hand seedlings known to be prone to winter dieback. Since it appears you are attempting to develop yours as a bonsai it will be pruned annually, maybe wired to produce the shape you have in mind. Possibly searching internet for "bonsai styrax" or "styrax bonsai" will turn something up.

PRUNING & TRAINING, Christopher Brickell/David Joyce (DK) says (about using them as landscape plants):

"Most cultivated species are frost-tender when young but vigorous once established. They dislike pruning, and are best left to develop naturally and informally; they are ideal for woodland gardens and other sheltered sites"

About S. japonicus specifically the book says:

"This is a beautiful and delicate flowering tree, but it dislikes pruning...plant in a sheltered site...When to prune: Autumn to early spring"