Acer palmatum 'Oridono nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here are some pictures of Acer palmatum 'Oridono nishiki'. This variegated upright produces an eyecatching show in spring. Most of the variegation occurs then, on new growth. As the season progresses this variegation fades to dark green foliage with some creamy variegation remaining present throughout the canopy. Young stems often show a creamy pink streak,running lengh wise on the bark. To me this resembles pulled taffy. This is a vigorous growing cultivar that will form a 16' to 20' tall tree. It requires some shade here in the Southeastern U.S. but seems tolerant of our heat and humidity. These pictures were made in the Spring of 2003.

Attached Files:

2. AcerBob

AcerBob Member

Acer palmatum 'Oridono-nishiki'

This is a picture of a beautiful 'Oridono nishiki' that I ordered from Elk Mountain Nursery last fall. I hope these colors continue to show all summer.
    Bob

Attached Files:

3. where can I get a catalog of Elk Mountain Nursery? I live in Pa. and am having trouble finding a place where I can purchase oridono nishiki. Thanks
    muusetta@aol.com

4. AcerBob

AcerBob Member

You have to go to their web-site and request a catalog.
    Elk-mountain.com
    Their trees are $26 plus shipping. They are good size trees and the grafts have completely healed. You can also call and talk to Craig, he is very nice and helpful. Just looking at their web-site yesterday a lot of the cultivars are out-of-stock for spring shipping. Probably will have to wait til fall to order. Good luck, I think you will be pleased with what ever you order.
    Bob

5. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

This oridono nishiki had a lot of pink a month ago, but is still beautiful in late May's green and cream.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  6. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

vigorous for a variegated form

Attached Files:

7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a picture of the spring color on one of two Oridono nishiki in my gardens. The trees are about 12 to 16 feet tall and show typical coloration. The spring of 1999 was outstanding for this cultivar in my garden.

Attached Files:

8. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Spring Pics. great tree does well for me in shade and sun.

Krautz

Attached Files:

9. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I find Oridono Nishiki rather maddening. I bought it for its variegation and color, only to find two years later that all my Oridono Nishikis went native, i.e., they all went totally green last year (2006). I pruned over winter, and this year I have the variegation I had originally. I have no idea whether the pruning had anything to do with it. This photo was taken 4/27/07.

Attached Files:

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

An upright ,vigourous , vase shaped tree as previously mentioned. Fine in full sun here and has shown the pink streaking on the trunk, sorry no pic. Pic #1 late June, pics 2 and 3 mid July, pics 4 and 5 late October.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  11. James M

James M Member

New leaf growth

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      116.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      100.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
  12. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My new acquisition...

Attached Files:

13. STi

STi Active Member

strong tree!

Attached Files:

14. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I find this cultivar rather maddening. It has lovely variegation some years, but it has virtually none the next. This photo was taken May 2.

Attached Files:

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Another photo taken of the same cultivar last October 15.

Attached Files:

16. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

While definitely an untidy grower and very spastic, it is quite vigorous and seems hardy. With some "brush removal" it's become one of my favorites, especially with the lovely pink streaked stems. The fall color was slow but quite pretty, with the entire tree turning shades of shiny dark maroon with the occasional yellow splotch, and bright red stems.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum ' Orido Nishiki ' is my wife's favourite in our garden. The lovely delicate pinks throughout Spring and Summer are so lovely to look at. I have placed ours next to a winding path so that it can be viewed from all angles. It gets sun morning till evening with no problems at all.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Summer rain can set maples off beautifully IMO and none more so than Orido Nishiki. Photo early morning 19th July 2020.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

31st July 2020, very hot as it was the last few days and my Orido Nishiki is coping very well. Even showing some new growth.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My Orido Nishiki does not like this heat one bit. I tried to get past the better leaves, just to show the effect it's having during the hot Summer sun.
    Sorry about the blurring, but I think you get the picture.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    The good and the bad photos today. No ugly, just leaf scorch on the new growth that I expected to happen on this heat. This new branch will fail.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

18th August 2020 and everything is colouring up along with new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    Without a doubt my favourite today is my Orido Nishiki. Recovering really well after severe scorched leaves in the heatwave.
    Never give up on them and they will recover.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, I wanted to show that the new growth is coping well.
    We had 50mph winds yesterday and thank goodness the new leaves are still there.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    It did survive the 50mph winds. And looking quite pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    The new growth is getting more pink every day. Just enjoying it now, no use in worrying about first frosts, lol.

Attached Files: