British Columbia: Fall Swap, Oct 15 2006, Burnaby

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by dahliadaze, Sep 18, 2006.

1. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

A fall plant swap will be held on Sunday, Oct 15, between 1-5 pm (near Metrotown, but everyone welcome) for anyone on this forum who would like to join in.

How it works:
    Everyone please post what plants, seedlings, etc you have to trade. Confirmed trades will be agreed on between interested parties, but you are welcome to bring any extra plants with you on the date for impromptu trading as well. All location information, etc will be provided off-site through email. What do you have to trade?

Cecelia

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Fall Swap, Oct 15, Burnaby

(thread stickied)

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Cecelia. I would like to suggest a format for organizing this plant exchange. It involves using two threads: One for listing all plants and materials available for exchange and another for discussion relating to the exchange. This thread can be used for the latter. Each participant makes and maintains (using the Edit function) one post in the first thread. In this way, readers can easily determine what any one person has to offer. Items involved in tentative deals can be indicated as such, perhaps with '(Reserved)' next to them.

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

That's an excellent idea Junglekeeper, so who ever is ready with their list should start another thread titled 'Available for Fall Swap' or something like that.

5. Junglekeeper

If the proposed format is adopted, I suggest the participants' thread be started with a post to state the purpose of the thread along with suggestions for the format of each post and any other pertinent information. The organizer of the swap should have the honors.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yay, Cecelia, thank you for setting things in motion and for hosting! I'm definitely in, and I hope we have good weather. I will plan to bring some food to nibble on. I usually do something really elaborate like a bag of cheese puffs.

I believe I understand the format Junglekeeper is suggesting, but am not clear on in which thread the negotiations happen - the postings where we say "Can I have one of those please" - maybe we do it by private message? I seem a little too dull tonight to figure that out. Once I get it, I can try starting the other thread, although I don't have a whole list yet, since we can edit to add stuff. Cecelia probably should have the honours, but on the other hand she needn't have ALL the work.

7. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I have a feeling this is going to be confusing but will try to keep it straight.

If I understand this correctly the "can I have one of those" posts should occur on this thread and the other thread is just a running tally. Am I right?

I expect we should post "I am looking for" items to this thread.

So, are you joining in the fun this fall Junglekeeper?

8. Junglekeeper

Correct. It seems logical to separate the goods from the talk. Of course the bartering can also occur over PM and e-mail. I hadn't thought of 'Want' items but they should go into the Goods thread along with the 'Have' items.
    Judging by last year's swap it's unlikely I'll be participating as it is oriented towards the outdoor gardener. I'll wait and see though. Never say never.

9. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Well I've just posted my list.

KarenL, since you're the only other one - do you by any chance have Iron Gate Delight ?

10. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

Hi everyone, I'm sorry but work has kept me tied up and your conversations go faster than impatiens sprout.

So BCGIFT52, does that mean you've already started the other thread? If not, please feel free to sprout it up, because I'm kind of confused actually. Thanxomucho everyone!

11. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

12. KarinL

BCGift, as a matter of fact I do have Hosta Iron Gate Delight, and it is divisible, so that's a can-do.

13. Magua

Magua Member

Alas, I don't think I have anything for trade, as I had to clear out my stuff before I went on vacation, and to clear out the balcony. That, and I kinda neglected the poor things. :( I'll see what I still have, though, and try to drop by to chat anyway. I should have more stuff by the Spring trade time. :) I have evil seed plans already. Huah ha ha ha ha...

14. Candy

Candy Active Member

I'm sure this is all simpler than it sounds . . . But I won't know until ... early on the 15th what I'll have, so I'll take my chances and show up with plants in pots, and see what goes.

Wonder of wonders, I had time to get out into the garden, do a major re-org, and have listed my available plants on the other thread.

-Candace/Candy/CanGrow

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  15. KarinL

Helen, I would like to get a cutting of your tri-colour sage. I still owe you some snowdrops from last time, and feel free to pick anything else off my list!

16. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

I'd like to come. Can you send me the address please?

17. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Magua: I have some stuff from last trade for you in any case and we're going to rely heavily on you for seedlings. I haven't found the space for my indoor grow-op yet at the new place so I'll only be doing winter sowing.

Hi Candy
    That will work for us.

CourtYard Gardener
    The host/hostess (dahliadaze aka Cecilia, in this case) will email everyone closer to the swap day with the address.

Gardenfever
    Would like some golden oregano, pls.

18. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

I'd deffinately like to come....what's the address.....

cheers

19. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I doubt I will be able to join you on October 15th. Sniff.

Westcoastgarden

20. Vincent

Vincent Member

Courtyardgardener is it a flowering hops? Id be interested in a rooted cutting.

21. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

Hi Gardening Fanaitcs,

Someone suggested I don't post my address here, but instead respond to your enquiries directly. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  22. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I will try to make it by. I dont have any plants for trade but I can bring some Silky saws if anyone is interested, let me know! PM me and we can work something out. There is a price list here: http://www3.telus.net/public/bali1/Silky.htm for UBC Forum members, 10% off for the swap day.

cheers!

23. KarinL

Courtyard, I'd love a rooted smokebush cutting, and could give you a hosta in return.

24. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Courtyard, I added the common names to my list (as far as I know) - hope it helps. Do you grow your Euryops outside in winter or do you have to bring it in ?

25. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Hi All,

BCgift a definite yes to the golden oregano.

I'm interested in your Wintersweet and the baptisia australis.

Are you interested in anything else on my list? The purple sage is a nice smelling plant if you're into herbs.

Ooh, I also have a hardy geranium with very fragrant leaves when brushed; cedar resinous musky smell to me. I think the flowers were pink.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006