Identification: House plant gift unidentified..help~~

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SusanK, Sep 9, 2006.

1. SusanK

SusanK Member

I received this plant as a gift while I was away for a few weeks. It has been taken care of by family members but is certainly looking pretty sad. I know it is probably a common house plant but it came with no information. Could anyone please help save this plant?.. thanks
    Susan

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Cordyline fruticosa syn(Cordyline terminalis or Dracaena terminalis)??? That is a guess on my part. Somebody else might have a more definitive answer. Scroll down the link above to see pictures of Cordyline terminalis. Harry

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

i think it is a Hawaiin Ti plant .. google it and see if it is .. there are a few different kinds ..

Marn

4. SusanK

SusanK Member

Thank you! The information I can find about both the Ti plant & the Dracaena are that they are of the same family. However on different web sites I am getting conflicting information. It has been years since I have been able to enjoy knowing plants & enjoying their benefits, but my knowledge is quite limited. On one site the Hawaiian Ti Plant is known as a good luck plant although it is poisous if ingested and may cause skin irritation, etc. It is also is a sacred plant warding off evil and negative energies. "Beneficial for those who display uncharacteristic behaviour"....did I mention..this was a gift?.... :-( ??

There aren't any specifics I can find for the actual care of this plant. Can you help me? I live in Tucson and think the plant would do better outside than inside but again, I do not want to kill the beautiful thing.
    Thank you!
    Susan

5. Marn

here is a lil info i found on the Ti plant .. hope it helps..

Cultural information: A recently introduced "Ti" plant that is quite hardy and easy to care for. A great beginners plant. The underside of the foliage has a slight burgundy tint to it, the top side is dark glossy green.

Place your green "Ti" plant in filtered or indirect light. Direct sun is to bright for this plant. "Glauca" does not consume a lot of water. Check for water weekly. Allow the surface soil to dry down 3" on larger plants between waterings. Smaller plants, 1" for 6" containers and 2" for 8" containers. Feed sparingly about 3 times per year with a balanced liquid plant food.

Marn

6. SusanK

SusanK Member

Perfect! Thank you! I am sure my plant will appreciate me knowing something more than the generic info on the tag that came with it..
    Susan

7. Marn

lol.. i hear ya .. i hate it when they just put in general info on them .. they need to put more on them...

Marn

8. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

I thought I was wrong again in my flower id. Haven't been doing too well to say the least. But I was surprised to find that the Ti plant was actually Cordyline fruticosa. :) My reference to the genus Dracaena terminalis above was only to note a common synonym, but Cordyline fruticosa is the accepted name. Found this page with some tips on growing (towards the bottom) as well descriptions and photos. The author refers to it by the other common synonym, Cordyline terminalis. He does say that the genus Cordyline requires high humidity (60%) which might be the reason for your plant's decline. Harry

9. jesse

jesse Member

check for spider mites on leaves, the one on the right appears to have damage from it. They get it fairly easy.