Leaf Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Alan W, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Alan W

Alan W Member

The leaves on our Phals are water spotted and dingy. I would never consider a "cleaner" that contained waxes and or silicone but lately have seen water-based "leaf cleaners" offered. Does anyone here have any positive experience with these cleaners and, if so, would you drop a name or two? Thank you ... AW

2. Toonces

Toonces Member

I've never used a leaf cleaner on my Phals but I too dislike the water spots.

I have a cheap yellow sponge with a green scrubby pad on the back that I reserve for exactly this use. I give them a light & gentle rub using the scrubby side with a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of dish soap. I'm careful not to scrub them - it's almost like a very light sanding. I'm also careful not to rinse the soap down into the moss.

Then, I wipe the leaves dry with paper towels. If it doesn't get all the dingy off the first time, I just do it again.

Go light though and resist the urge to scrub. The cheaper the scrubby pad, the less abrasive it is - these sponges can be bought here in packs of 12 at the dollar store.

If you have a gentle touch, try it out. If not, perhaps someone has that info you're looking for on leaf cleaners.