Growin' Palms: Van vs. Van Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Ryan_DeJager, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Ryan_DeJager

Ryan_DeJager Member

I'm a high school student and have a little questions about growing palm trees in Vancouver versus Vancouver Island. I recently visited Nanaimo on the Island, and was talking with some of the locals who were growing palms. I just couldn't help getting the impression that they thought that as a Canadian palm enthusiast, I was at a major disadvantage for living in Vancouver (N. Surrey hopefully someday West Vancouver) instead of someplace like Nanaimo or Victoria. Is the Island really a MUCH better place for growing palms? Is there a huge difference between the favorability of the two climates? Thats the impression I got, but I don't know if thats really the case. I LOVE Vancouver, I think I'm just as patriotic about being a Vancouver dude than bein' a Canadian! Just wonderin...thanks if anyone can clarify this for me !

~Ryan, a Vancouver Palm dude :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  2. Den_Vic

Den_Vic Member

Climate

The Nanaimo area is zone 8a like Vancouver. It usually has a few degrees extra in the summer. Look at this week’s temps (news or net) on sunny days.

Nanaino has more summer sun. Victoria even more. Victoria is zone 8b. That can make a difference. -Especially considerably less amounts of winter rain in Victoria and SSI. That helps in winter for more tender exotics. If you travel from Victoria to Vancouver in Feb or March, you’ll see that Vic is ahead in spring. It’s a bit milder with more sun.

Not to boast but Vancouver Island & SSI are better areas for growing palms.
    We get less snow should it fall and escape colder lows. Jan’s cold snap was proof.

Being proud of Vancouver is rightfully so. They have awesome palm gardens.
    I’m glad that I’m here because more marginal palms are easier to grow here in Vic. But Vancouver has better exotic plant selection at their plant nurseries!

Cheers

3. Ryan_DeJager

Ryan_DeJager Member

Re:

Thanks for clearin' this up, Denis. By the way, isn't Vancouver zone 8b too? Or at least parts of it nearer to the water? We can both be zone 8b and Victoria still be a bit warmer, I think theres a range of 8b. Oh well, whatever, I think of all the palms growable here in SW BC Trachycarpus Takil is the most attractive. Its more hardy that T. Fortunei, which have proven to do well here in Van. Won't it be cool to see how big T. Takil actally get in Vancouver and Victoria when they finally start becoming more easy to get. Same with Jubs. It's going to be awesome in 20 years when there are more large palms. Anyways, when it comes to plant diversity and awesome scenery, I think we should just think of our cities as one, good old Southwestern British Columbia . But I'll still never live anyplace but Van. Love it too much. I think there should be more BC and Canada flags around. Some people form Toronto think we're so Americanized. But when I went there I didn't see a ton of flags either. Just because we don't freeze like crazy in the winter and have palms doesn't mean we're not Canadian! I think people form BC are more patriotic than other places in Canada. BC RULES! (Specially southwest!)

~Ryan, a Vancouver palm dude :)