Help ! Need a list of plants requiring acidic soil..

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by lavenderflowerpot, Apr 24, 2004.

1. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

Hello Gardeners !

I have been asked for a list of plants for our area which prefer or even require acidic soil. Our area being just east of Vancouver ;zone 7/8

Not including Rhodie family.

I have a friend who likes to give large doses of amendments (read fertilizers) I am afraid , and who does not have access to the internet.

I do not have time to compile a listing plant by plant myself, so I am looking for a site to locate a fairly comprehensive list.

I love to search but this is taking up too much time, so any bit of guidance will be much appreciated.

thank you ,
    in gardening.....

lavenderflowerpot

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From Colorado State University's Cooperative Extension:

Acid-Loving Plants

Also, BBC's Top Ten Plants for Acid Soils (only 2 in the Ericaceae, so have a look at the other 8, although Lapageria rosea would not survive outdoors and Crinodendron hookerianum is borderline depending on exposure and how solid of a zone 8 you might be).

3. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

Thank you so much Daniel,!
    I especially like the BBC info , and you have saved me a lot of time.
    Even if the friend changes his mind about wanting the facts now , I will make good use of it in my other endeavours.

Very kind of you.

in gardening...... lavenderflowerpot

4. how do you find acidic soil?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most soils in this region will be acidic. Home pH test kits can be found at garden centers.