Will grape seeds grow?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Paulina, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    I had some beautiful large red grapes about a month ago and saved some of the seeds. Will they germinate or is there a process that it takes for them to grow? Thanx!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's not IF they'll grow, but for how long - grapes need hot, dry conditions to thrive, and while you might get that for short periods in the summer, do you get them for extended ones? I would ask around and see if anyone else is growing grapes there (outside of a regulated greenhouse). Whether your seeds will germinate is another question altogether.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've never tried growing grape seeds, but it shouldn't be too difficult. They will probably need some winter chilling before they will germinate; put them in some sterilised damp sand (only damp, not dripping wet), and refrigerate over the winter at +1 or +2°C. Then sow in pots in early spring.

Outdoor grape growing shouldn't be a problem at low altitudes in interior BC - there are some vineyards there. But if 'Upper Fraser Valley' also means high altitude, they'll need to be under glass.

Bear in mind that as with any fruit cultivar, the seedlings won't necessarily be like the parent - any resulting grapes might be small, sour, etc.

4. Ron Martinez

Ron Martinez Member

No one grows grapes in the mountains of Northern New Mexico, USA. However, being in a border zone 3-4 area and 8,000 ft elevatation we should be able to grow grapes if they can be grown in Montana, N. Dakota and Upstate New York, if we get the right genetics.

Where can I find a supply of grapes to try it out next spring? While we only get 10-12" of precipitation each year, I do have flood irrigation available. I'd also be willing to grow them from seed although it is a lot of time before we know if the fruit is good even if they survive the winter. I'll be trying to grow various varieties on about two acres next year and see where it goes from there.

If you can't reply directly to my post, maybe you can send a response to my e-mail address at GypsyRon2002 at Yahoo .com.

I'll also be trying be trying to grow some Heartnuts (walnuts) from seed.

No one in my area grows more than plums, apples and alfalfa. Very few at that. In five years I hope to be the neighbor that everyones says "Well, if Ron can grow them, I can too".

Thanks,

Ron M.

5. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

My grapes produce lots of little plants from seeds which are either dispersed by birds or just fall from the vines. The plants are pulled up as I have too many grapes to deal with without any extras but they certainly look very healthy. Our house faces south west and is very close to the ocean which probably also helps as winter is very mild. Would guess that you should be ok in the Valley. I don't know which types they are or if grapes bought from a shop would produce viable seeds but why not just try and see what happens?
    At this time of the year anyone coming to our home is not allowed to escape without at least one bag of grapes. Fortunately grapes are not toxic to our dog so he does his fair share to help reduce the harvest!
    Margaret