Dissectum ID

Discussion in 'Maples' started by RJJ, Sep 27, 2006.

1. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

I scored with the below JM. A friend sold his house and let me take what I wanted from his garden. He had no clue what exact cultivar JM Dissectum this is. Can anyone take a shot and tell me what my new tree is? The bottom leaf in turned upside down to show the more green side of this dissectum. Any advice would be appreciated. The tree is about two feet tall with a cascading form.

~RJJ

Attached Files:

2. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

i take a guess - most likely to be "seiryu" because of it's light green color. Otherwise it could be "Viridis".

Those are the two that i could think of that are green - other dissectum like "inaba something" is deep red in color.

btw - is it autumn or spring in your area?

3. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

It's the 3rd day in autumn here in NY. None of my other JM's have changed much yet. So I'm thinking this is the normal color. I do not think it's a Seiryu because it cascades as opposed to grow upright. Thank you for our help. I would include a photo of the tree but my desktop is down and I do not have capabilities.

~RJJ

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Two leaves not enough to go on. Many kinds, some very similar. Try books such as Vertrees/Gregory, JAPANESE MAPLES and Ven Gelderen/Van Gelderen, MAPLES FOR GARDENS.

5. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

after checking with Vertrees, it's a Seriyu no doubt

6. Ron B

What about the cascading habit?

7. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

That’s the only thing that throws me off. But when I looked in Japanese Maples - Vertrees, the photo of Seiryu is exact in color. A green leaf perfectly outlined in red. It’s an exact resemblance. I haven’t seen any other dissectum that matches like the Seiryu. I haven’t given up yet…thanks fro your help

8. Ron B

Not a weeper, can't be that one if it weeps. 'Viride' ('Viridis') is a Group, represented by multiple clones so not all of those are exactly the same. But it seems the plant in question is a purpleleaf form anyway, these are what make the kinds of laceleaf maples so numerous--the greenleaf ones are comparatively few in number.

9. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

You are 100% correct, I just google searched "Virdis" and I found the exact tree, form & color see below. I am confident that this is the exact tree.

Attached Files:

10. Ron B

Photo shows tree in autumn dress, note the green part that hasn't turned yet. Your earlier comments appear to indicate that the purplishness shown in your picture of the two leaves is not autumn color coming on. If your specimen is actually bright green in spring and summer, with weeping habit and finely cut leaves then it would fit the general profile of the Viride (Viridis) Group. A cultivar Group is an umbrella term for multiple independent introductions of plants all being grown under the same cultivar name, used to differentiate these from clonal cultivars (those stemming from a single introduction and all being grown from fragments of that one genetic individual). These are common. A more precise identification would require more than looking at pictures alone. Written descriptions spell out the features that are useful for differentiating similar plants. Maples for Gardens, for instance frequently rattles off lists of similar cultivars and how they differ from the main topic under the variety descriptions.

Taking samples of your tree to a nursery that has a good line of Japanese maples might also produce a match, if not now then maybe in spring-summer when full selection present.

11. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

Lucky you.

I went to a nursey a few days a go, and i saw this beautiful viridis maple. It looks so graceful. I was so close in buying it - but on a second thought it cost $199 AUD

the leaves of viridis looks a bit like seiryu except that it's larger.

if you look at my blog, your maple leaves does resemble a bit like a seiryu. but because it's cascading it's probably not seiryu.

but again, a few years ago, I went to a nursery and they stock a weeping seiryu. could that be possible?

12. RJJ

RJJ Active Member

Since I just received this tree a few days ago, I have no clue what it looks likes in the spring or summer. I assumed the current color was the late summer color because my 10 other JM's have only slightly begun to display fall colors.

13. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

if u go to the "maple gallery" in this forum, i'm sure u'll find photos of viridis. But be sure u click on acer palmatum, not ordinary maple.