Can anyone tell me what these are?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tmorel, Sep 27, 2006.

1. tmorel

tmorel Member

These are probably very simple to identify, however I couldn't find the answers. I found them on a nature hike in mid Michigan and my 6 year old son needs to report on what leaf he found for Cub Scouts. Please help. Thank you.

The one on your left is very large (aprox. 10 inches in diameter) and the one on your right is smaller (aprox. 2 inches in diameter)

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Could use more information such as tree, shrub, vine, herb, habitat, leaf arrangement, flowers, fruit, etc. Someone would have to be extremely familiar with those plants to know what they are from those photos.

3. tmorel

tmorel Member

Both of these leaves were growing from the ground on the single stalk in picture. Both very low to the ground and both were basically what covered the ground throughout the entire wooded area.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly one on the right is an avens (Geum).

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If pressed, I'd suggest the one on the left is a member of the sunflower family. If forced to make a suggestion, I'd say possibly the first year growth of the biennial Arctium lappa, but I'd probably be wrong, since it also reminds me of one of the North American asters or goldenrods - or I could be wrong entirely.

6. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

The one on the left looks like member of Rumex family to me - Rumex confertus?

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a good suggestion.

8. tmorel

tmorel Member

What would you say to common burdock for the first one?

9. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

10. tmorel

tmorel Member

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. My son and I spent quite sometime trying to figure these out and in the end he won the "best presentation and display" award at his den meeting. I don't know if we actually had it 100% correct but we had fun trying. Thanks again.