Rabbit Poop

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Tessie, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Tessie

Tessie Active Member

Has anyone had any luck using rabbit poop in compost? I have the opportunity to get some free. Any info greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

My family grew rabbits and used the droppings when I was growing up. I recall a lot of fresh vegies in the summer so I guess it worked :)

I think that the poop was piled up and added to the garden as is. I recall reading (I think here) that rabbit droppings are the only droppings that don't need to be composted. I would just spread it out right in the garden.

M.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

A very good, gentle fertilizer.

4. Tessie

Tessie Active Member

Thank you Globalist and Rima. I think I will indeed spread it directly a perennial bed in which I don't have to work in too often. Much appreciated!

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

From this site with a handy chart for 'How common manures measure up':
    http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

More info here.
    http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/orgmatter/index.html#manures

Newt

6. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

My wife and I have been toying with the idea of getting a rabbit. Here's another reason why....

7. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

We have two mature female rabbits just for this purpose! If you are thinking about getting some however, please, make sure they have a run with some concrete under the pen so they don't dig their way out! I can't stand seeing these creatures cooped up in the "hutches" that lots of folk put them in...They need to be able to run! Also the straw and hay for their bedding provides a constant supply of compost ingredients throughout the year and they will easily survive -20 with some protection...

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

We where over run with those damned rabbits. Their numbers have dropped and now we're mildly over run with them. The nibble on anything and have ruined or killed many plants. Now wire caging is placed around new plantings until they're large enough to suvive. Fortunately the deer have moved on for now. Some folks have 6' - 8' tall cages around fruit trees etc.

Cheers, LPN.

9. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Re: Rabbit Poop in fiction...

See "Divine Right's Trip", the page by page novel in the original Whole Earth Catalogue.
    Divine Right Davenport begins a project near the end of the novel to reclaim coal mine tailings with rabbit droppings.

10. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

Hi. Also, if you have access to Alpaca poop you're in luck. It's wonderful stuff, and can be added fresh straight into the garden. There is absolutely no odour whatsoever. Lovely stuff.