is my chinese fan palm sick?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

i purchased a chinese fan palm around 6 to 8 months ago. the bottom leaves were going brown but i know that they shed there younger leaves like this, other wise ti seemed pretty healthy. a few months later i notisec athat a few leaves were getting small brown circles les then a cm big. i also noticed that the roots were comming out of the bottom of the pot so i repotted it. The spots havnt really gone away. I the area around the spots are sort of clear and the center of then are brown. It seems other wise healthy and is growing pretty fast. please help

2. Palm Lady

Palm Lady Member

You didn't mention cultivation: water, sunlight, etc. but from your description, it sounds like a soil fungus. When you water, wet soil splashes onto the leaves. It's not fatal but it is unsightly. Change your watering technique, add a layer of mulch or pebbles on the surface, allow the top of the soil to dry before watering.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chinese Fan Palm. Is that Livistona chinesis? I don't know too many common names, mainly botanical.

Cheers, LPN.

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

yes it is the botanical name...... i water it once every week or 2 it depends on how dr the air gets... it gets i hink just under bright indirect light but i t was in a porch fer the summer months where the temps got to 48 degrees. ( the spots were there after ) and also i jsut repoted it and the sp[ots have seemed to stop spreding)