Acer palmatum 'Katsura'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here are a couple of pictures of an Acer palmatum 'Katsura'. these pictures were made in late march and early April of 2003. These pictures show the spring color that this cultivar is noted for.

Attached Files:

2. Themapleman

Themapleman Member

Here is a Katsura that I had in my greenhouse because it usually leaves out first and gets damaged by hail if it is left outside.

Attached Files:

3. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum Katsura

This tree has moved into my top 5 japanese maple. The spring color is wonderful. I just moved the tree because it was getting scorched in the full sun. Hopefully it will do better in its new location.

Attached Files:

4. Re: Acer palmatum Katsura

It is a fine tree. I like Orange Dream better. Leafs-out later. Spring color lasts longer. I have a friend growing his in the Texas sun. I saw it August 6. It is growing, now 5 feet tall, 2 years old, nice orange new growth, and no burn! Pretty unbelievable I know. I grow maples for a living in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Keith

5. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My Katsura has lost almost all his leaves. It's seems to be a precocious one. Is it the same for you ?

Attached Files:

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

3 or 4 year old plant 3/28/08.

Attached Files:

7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is one of my favorite spring cultivars. I have had very little burn on this tree and it is in direct sun at the NJ shore for most of the day. This tree was purchased from J. Vermeulen and Sons as a one gal. in 1995. I found that this cultivar grows very quickly in the ground and is a favorite of most visitors in spring. Dates of photos are in the file name when selected.

Ed

Attached Files:

8. STi

STi Active Member

Very nice!

9. nelran

nelran Active Member

Yes, STi, very nice. Ussually, any pic posted by Ed (NJACER) had same characteristic.... it is a postcard. His garden in any side looks inmaculated.
    (I wonder how long it takes to him to "deweed" it!!) 'cause mine is very smaller than his and always is big chore to clean it...

Nelran

10. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My Katsura is a gorgeous tree about 12 feet tall, perhaps 7 years old, and it never fails to impress in the springtime with golden leaves with reddish margins. It has an imposing and dignified shape, somewhat formal in appearance, and it is hardy. This photo was taken April 6, 2005 (when I could still photograph the top of the tree).

Attached Files:

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

These pictures of a mature Katsura are from the Botanical Garden of Caen (Jardin des Plantes) taken 23/5. In the fourth you see the tree behind A. japonicum, in its setting along the alley.

Attached Files:

12. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Nice spring pic of katsura

Attached Files:

13. Poetry to Burn

Spring and summer pics. 'Katsura' has grown steadily since spring. I was amazed this past spring by the coloring and so far very little summer burn (windy deck in full sun) even with 3-100F heat waves.

Attached Files:

14. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

A couple pics of our 'Katsura' this fall.This has been the best Fall that we've
    had in a couple years for most of our maples ( ice storm, hale storm, wind storm).
    This 'Katsura' has been in the ground for about 10/11 years now. Beautfull tree.

Cirque

Attached Files:

15. nelran

nelran Active Member

What a beatiful tree, Cirque! Really nice. I recently got 'katsura' but I haven't enjoyed that color yet. Mine is similar in size to "Poetry to burn's tree (very nice colors too, Poetry!).
    I was thinking that this tree grows upright and can reach 20' or more. Your's looks rounded and smaller. I hope that mine will behave as yours, I love that shape.
    Regards

Nelran

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  16. Poetry to Burn

Wow Cirque,

That plant is stunning. I'm raising my fall color expectation for 'Katsura'.

This spring was fantastic but no fall color for me right now. My tree was aggressively root pruned last week. It's still full of mostly green leaves. I think it would take a miracle for it to suddenly color up like yours

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

October 2007 and May 2008

Attached Files:

18. nelran

nelran Active Member

Finally I got a shot of Katsura, in early Spring 2010. First 3 pics from leafing out color (2-3 weeks ago) and last 3 photos were taken yesterday, with dramatic change in color and "fully loaded" leaves.

Nelran

Attached Files:

19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are the spring colors 2012 for one of my Katsura.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  20. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This spring we have had warm sunny weather followed by cold weather. As usual 'Katsura' is the earliest to leaf out here, at the same time as 'Kotohime' and slightly ahead even of 'Kiyohime', with leaves first emerging in mid March. Due to the weather patterns, hardly any other JM's have even broken bud yet and 'Katsura' has been "stuck" at the same growth and colour phase for two weeks now; truly the star of the early season. Pictures taken 5 April:

Katsura6.jpg Katsura7.jpg Katsura8.jpg

21. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Nice colours Maf&Amazing,mine are a bit dissappointing,even the one on it's own roots.Perhaps a bit more sun is needed.

22. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

I'm so in love with this tree!! I bought her in the fall of 2011, standing 4-5 feet with a nice, upright shape. She's still in the 7 gallon container that I brought her home in. These 2 pics are from March 2012.

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

23. Onra

Onra Member

This is some photos of my young Katsura that I bought last year. It is not a grafted tree, it has been propagate from cuttings. What I want to show is the fall color which is very red!

All photos has been taken this year...

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Acer palmatum ' Katsura' in very early Spring 2020. It is behind my Going Green and Red Flash that are only just starting to leaf out. The golden colour of the leaves always says to me Spring has really arrived. It can be susceptible to late Spring frosts due to how early it leafs out. But well worth having in any garden.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

29th July 2020 and people say this is a Spring tree only !! I beg to differ. Get up close and see the delight in the small leaves, then say 'is it just an early Spring tree'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020