Wilted plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by barbie, Jun 24, 2006.

1. barbie

barbie Member

I was looking for an answer to my question and i found out this helpful page THANK GOD!
    My question is: If a plant was not watered on time and its leaves are wilted if i water it will it go back to normal?
    PLease answer as soon as possible ITS URGENT!!!!!!!! thanx

2. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

won't hurt.try and see silly

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Once it has an initial good soaking to rewet it, don't go overboard with water afterward but wait til it's normal state of wet-dry soil balance returns as it's stressed to begin with, and overwatering to compensate for the wilt won't help.

4. barbie

barbie Member

Thx a lot

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Very good point Rima. My theory is that most of the people who say that they killed plants by not watering them have actually killed the plant by panicking and over watering to compensate. It takes months for a plant to die due to lack of water and only a week to die from over watering.

M.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

it would be dependant on the conditions and the plant of course but generally speaking I would say that a plant can take excess water for longer than a plant with a lack of water.

proper water for most plants is infrequent, heavy waterings vs frequent, minor waterings.
    my .02

7. barbie

barbie Member

Thanx a lot guys
    this was a very good advice. I would think of not over watering the plants but if u didnt write these msgs i might have. Actually im stressed coz the plants r not mine :(

8. rhiannonnightsinger

rhiannonnightsinger Member

Just water as usual, like these nice people have suggested. I had to leave my barrels full of plants with someone over the summer and htey never thought to water them. So when I got them back, I cut everything down - a lot! then I watered them. I now have my lavenders, rosemary, tuberoses and now my carnations are sending up new green growth. Just goes to show how tough those plants really are! :)
    So relax, don't stress. You can fix this.