How to save a japanese maple in Texas?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hailey, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hailey

Hailey Member

I have a lovely little japanese maple on the side of my house here in Flower Mound, TX, and it's been suffering from drought (I can only assume - Douglas is the absolute expert...)

We moved into the house just 6 weeks ago, and I don't know how long the tree's been suffering. Would it be advisable (along with regular watering via our sprinkler system) to put one of those watering bags on it? Any other hints to help this tree back to life? We've seen some improvement in the leaves since we moved in (I don't think the previous owners cared to turn the sprinkler system on with much regularity). Should I be adding any special fertilizers or anything?

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Could you post a photograph of the tree? Do not fertilize your tree now. You will have time to read a bit about fertilization here on the Forum before spring, but a small amount of low nitrogen fertilizer would be fine then. The issue now seems to be the amount of water the tree gets and if you are pleased with its location. The maple needs excellent drainage and a good moist, but not wet sandy loam. If your new water regiment has seen improvement in the maple, perhaps it is adequate. How often and how much water does it get now? You mention that it is "lovely" yet "suffering from drought" so we might picture brown spots or less severe brown tips on the leaves.

3. Hailey

Hailey Member

It has severe browning of the outer leaves, but seems to be showing some new green leaves coming in. It gets water every second day, for 20 mins in the am, and another 20 mins in the late pm.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's likely the sun that's the problem - Japanese maples need to be in at least light shade. Surprisingly, it may not be too dry, and possibly be too wet - they like to get somewhat dry between waterings (but you'd have to judge just how well drained or not the area is).