Rose bush.

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Bflyindasky, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Bflyindasky

Bflyindasky Member

Hi! I am new to gardening.
    Just recently discovered that I have the green thumb in me. Anyways, I planted a rose bush in a big pot last spring and it looks pretty good. My question is; what will I do when the winter come. I live in Columbus, Ohio and we do have a pretty wacky weather here. Could someone please tell me how do I save the rose bush from the evil winter.
    Thank you!
    Very much appreciated!

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Since Ohio is in USDA Zones 5 and 6, I would welcome you to contact one of the rosarians in your area by checking this link or by checking this older list of consulting rosarians in Ohio. The consulting rosarian program is specifically designed to help people with individual questions; they would be happy to help. I would guess that you should bring the pot into a garage, using a dolly to move it if necessary, and keep the soil slightly moist through the winter. You can remove the leaves after dormancy and prune the canes by one third if you would like for space restrictions. Then in the spring, when you bring it out, you can prune it again to where you would like.

3. Bflyindasky

Bflyindasky Member

Thank you very much..now in Columbus is already pretty cold...we had flurries yesterday afternoon and this morning...I just have one more question, why can't I just leave the pot outside in the winter? could you please explain.In the mean time, I will take my rose bush in the garage.Thank you very much!